• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ODS and NIOBC AD days counting toward 9/11 GI Bill as an 1835?

StayingHydrated

Hi all, I hope there isnt already a thread with this information (i've spent 20 minutes searching for relevant answers, and apologies if so).

I'm a DCO via the 1835 program, and with law school coming up for me next year, I'm curious what training counts toward the 9/11 GI Bill. I'll be attending ODS in August (34 AD days) and my TO has communicated that it's likely I will be accepted to the AD NIOBC course in Dam Neck (143 AD days), which I hope to complete before law school starts. I've already received my TS, which is a requirement for AD NIOBC, alongside completing ODS.

Given the lower threshold for the 9/11 GI Bill is 90 AD days to qualify for 50% of benefits, would taking the above two courses qualify me?

I know 143+34 is over 90, and my more specific questions are:
  1. Do these courses both qualify as ADT orders (AT is not counted toward the 9/11 GI Bill)? If not, what type of orders do they count as?
  2. As a reservist via the 1835 program, do I qualify for 9/11 GI Bill? I don't have a 6 year contract, so I know for certain I don't qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill, and i'm curious if this applies to the 9/11 GI Bill as well. The VA's website seems to imply "Yes, I am eligible," but I'm also curious if anyone has personal experience to either verify or deny, as the website's text stipulates one "may" be eligible if the list criteria are met.
Thank you very very much for your time

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi all, I hope there isnt already a thread with this information (i've spent 20 minutes searching for relevant answers, and apologies if so).

I'm a DCO via the 1835 program, and with law school coming up for me next year, I'm curious what training counts toward the 9/11 GI Bill. I'll be attending ODS in August (34 AD days) and my TO has communicated that it's likely I will be accepted to the AD NIOBC course in Dam Neck (143 AD days), which I hope to complete before law school starts. I've already received my TS, which is a requirement for AD NIOBC, alongside completing ODS.

Given the lower threshold for the 9/11 GI Bill is 90 AD days to qualify for 50% of benefits, would taking the above two courses qualify me?

I know 143+34 is over 90, and my more specific questions are:
  1. Do these courses both qualify as ADT orders (AT is not counted toward the 9/11 GI Bill)? If not, what type of orders do they count as?
  2. As a reservist via the 1835 program, do I qualify for 9/11 GI Bill? I don't have a 6 year contract, so I know for certain I don't qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill, and i'm curious if this applies to the 9/11 GI Bill as well. The VA's website seems to imply "Yes, I am eligible," but I'm also curious if anyone has personal experience to either verify or deny, as the website's text stipulates one "may" be eligible if the list criteria are met.
Thank you very very much for your time

Second google feed search.

GI Bill information:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Pretty sure both courses are ADT-S and don’t convey a DD214, although I did not do those. You’ll want to do ADOS/Mob/Recall orders to get a DD214 and veterans benefits. You’ll need to do 6 years SELRES (incl. >90 days Active) to get GI Bill for yourself; 10 years if you want to transfer it to dependents. I wouldn’t count on it covering your law school if you plan to start law school right after NIOBC. You aren’t eligible to take ADOS/Mob prior to earning your 3I1 PQS qual.

number9

Contributor
Neither ODS nor RNIOBC gives you a DD-214. I can't speak for the AD NIOBC, but I'd be very surprised if you got a DD-214 from a school that's part of your obligatory training pipeline.

StayingHydrated

@Hair Warrior @number9 , this most recent BUPERSINST publication includes criteria for DD214 issuances and captures ADT orders as a valid reason for issuing the DD214 IF the training is done for >90 consecutively (pg 11 PDF view; AD NIOBC is 143 AD days, so seems to qualify). There's also no mention of obligatory coursework as a reason for exclusion under the "Ineligible Personnel" section (pg 12 in PDF view).

Definitely not counting on it for law school, but it still seems there may be a path here. Please let me know if you strongly think otherwise based on what I shared.

@FormerRecruitingGuru Thank you for sharing! Im working on tracking down if the 24 month non-training minimum applies to ADT-S and ADT-OS as it does for IDTS. If not, the path could still be viable.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
@Hair Warrior @number9 , this most recent BUPERSINST publication includes criteria for DD214 issuances and captures ADT orders as a valid reason for issuing the DD214 IF the training is done for >90 consecutively (pg 11 PDF view; AD NIOBC is 143 AD days, so seems to qualify). There's also no mention of obligatory coursework as a reason for exclusion under the "Ineligible Personnel" section (pg 12 in PDF view).

Definitely not counting on it for law school, but it still seems there may be a path here. Please let me know if you strongly think otherwise based on what I shared.

@FormerRecruitingGuru Thank you for sharing! Im working on tracking down if the 24 month non-training minimum applies to ADT-S and ADT-OS as it does for IDTS. If not, the path could still be viable.

You are trying to link ADT with ADT-Schools