• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer after Active Duty?

bugen4

Hi everybody.

I was active navy from 2003 to 2007 and now I am inactive reserve... I think.

Anyway, I had a chance to to go to officer candidate school when I first went in, but never completed the application process.

After getting out, I somewhat regret never becoming an officer. I am now 28 years old and nearly done finishing college with a 4 year degree.

Will I be able to apply as a reserve officer? If so, could I go from reserve back to active as an officer?

Any help or info you can provide would be great!

ODSCandidate

OCSCandidate
Yes, you can serve as a Naval Reserve officer, as long as you got out with a good RE code (at the bottom of your DD214). First, you have to apply, get accepted, then apply to be recalled, as long as they have open billets in the designator you want to serve in. That's the short answer. Hope this helps.

coredukes

None
Hi everybody.

I was active navy from 2003 to 2007 and now I am inactive reserve... I think.

Anyway, I had a chance to to go to officer candidate school when I first went in, but never completed the application process.

After getting out, I somewhat regret never becoming an officer. I am now 28 years old and nearly done finishing college with a 4 year degree.

Will I be able to apply as a reserve officer? If so, could I go from reserve back to active as an officer?

Any help or info you can provide would be great!

I was in the same situation but I was Air Force before. I was inactive reserve when I applied and I was picked up with no problems. Some paperwork had to be sent over to the AF to seperate me from inactive ready reserves so I could go Navy but like I said there were no problems in the process. Why would you try and apply to be a reserve officer if you want to be active?

coredukes

None
First, you have to apply, get accepted, then apply to be recalled, as long as they have open billets in the designator you want to serve in. That's the short answer. Hope this helps.

Now this would be the answer if you wanted to reenlist but since he wants to be an officer I think the first step is to talk to an officer recruiter. I was accepted before I did anything with the Air Force. There is a question on the application asking if you are IRR.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Will I be able to apply as a reserve officer?

Of course! It's called the Direct Commission Officer (DCO) Program. Plethora of information in the site about the program. I would recommend contacting your nearest Officer Programs Officer (OPO) at the Navy Reserve Recruiting office in your area.

The OPO will be able to answer many questions as well as to determine in what program (Supply, Intel, PAO, Information Warfare, et al.) you would be most competitive?

If so, could I go from reserve back to active as an officer?

There are options, but, I would first concentrate on getting selecting.