• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Educational Benefits

USMC Philly

I'm a senior in college and considering joining the Marines through OCC. I've read about all the educational benefits that are available for during and after your stay in the Marines. But will the Corps pay back the loans I have taken out to pay for college if I become an officer (Stafford,CitiAssist)? Hit me back with an answer please.

T-man

If you read through the clauses - there are some gov't loans that should get abolished when you join the military (I think the Stafford is one of these). read through your promisary note or call their help/support line.

USMC Philly

Wow, that really brightened up my day.

You would think if they are gonna pay for ROTC guys, they could offer other college grads who become officers at least a little bit of loan reimbursement.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
http://www.fafsa.com/downloads/MPN/staffordmpn.pdf

That is your standard promissary agreement for your stafford student loan.

The relevant paragraph (search for "military")

"Under certain circumstances, military personnel may have their loans repaid by the Secretary of Defense in accordance with 10 U.S.C. 2141. Questions should be addressed to the local service recruiter. This is a recruiting program and does not eprtain to prior service individuals or those not eligible for enlistment in the Armed Forces."

This makes it clear that its a military policy, and not the lender. Further research reveals this link: http://www.eustis.army.mil/Education_Center/loan_repayment_program.htm#Are officers

Which states very clearly that persons that become officers within 3 years of signing are for the most part not eligible.

As a current college student with loans, I'll join you in saying "that sucks." I guess that means we get to drink cheap beer for the first few years.