• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Subspecialty Code Question???

Random Task

pilot
Related to my OP about grad school (http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141071), in the Application instructions (OPNAVINST 1520.24B) it mentions subspecialty code which I looked up and found all about in OPNAVNOT 1520. My question is in the notice it says that the quota for Mechanical engineering is for 11xx/14xx. There is a note that says "For an unrestricted line officer to fill a quota for which unrestricted line requirements do not exist, the unrestricted line officer must first request and be accepted for an appropriate change of designator". Does that mean that I can not do Mechanical engineering and do 1390/1310 or does it mean that I just don't get the subspecialty code? If anyone could shed some light on this topic that would be great. In the various documents there are some contradictions. Also in the instruction letter it states that we have to agree to the "utilization of my subspecialty code." I was wondering what that exactly entailed; if it meant that I would have to be out of the cockpit more or actually if that meant going to TPS or something like that? Thanks for all the input so far and any more you might have!!!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I noticed in your other thread that you got an email from your ROTC unit regarding the grad school opportunity. Does it have a BUPERS POC? If it does, that would be the best place to answer your question.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Short answer: you can go to grad school and then still go to flight school and be a pilot.

I'm not a BUPERS guy, but going to grad school and majoring in a specialty area (for instance, engineering) will give you a specialty code. This means pretty much nothing for you as a flight school guy. However, later on, there might be a job that requires or prefers that particular specialty code. So, if you had a grad degree in engineering, that might make you more competitive than someone who didn't have that code for something like AEDO (Bert, care to comment on accuracy?)