• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ok, eyesight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMav11

I've heard so many different things about eyesight. I've read on the NOMI site on one part that it can't be worse that 20/40 with -1.00 astigmatism, and I've also read on that site that you can have up to 20/400 and still fly helicopters over land, etc... etc... So what is it? I've got better than 20/40 or about that, uncorrected, but in my right eye, I think I have astigmatism of -2.50 but my right eye is near perfect, at -.75 and at like 20/30, 20/25 or somewhere around there. I mean, can I become a pilot, or no? And what about PRK?

DanMav11

and my info, I am getting from this:

(Cycloplegic) Myopia no more than -1.50 any meridian. Hyperopia no more than +3.00 any meridian. Astigmatism no greater than -1.00 cylinder. Both cycloplegic and manifest refraction must be recorded. The same refractive error standards apply to both examinations. Avoid overcorrection--record refraction to 20/20 each eye. Refraction to best acuity may exceed standards. (see MANMED 15-65, p. 15-48)

What does "Refraction to best acuity may exceed standards." mean? If it means that the best eye can still exceed those standards, then I should be perfectly fine? No? Please help! Thanks!

jet_ifr

Refraction to best visual accuity (BVA) means that if you are given a manifest refraction (undialated correction) or cycloplegic refraction (dialated refraction) to your best possible vision correction. You might be seeing 20/20 without a refraction but after refraction you could see 20/10, your best visual accuity. Your correction to 20/20 and BVA (pre and post-dialation) results are separate measurements listed on your eye exam results sheet. No, you cannot exceed the standards listed for myopia, hyperopia or astigmatism, (-1.5,+3,-1.0) but your best visual accuity can exceed the 20/20 standard (hopefully better than 20/20, not less). Clear?

Since you are applying for a SNA spot you need to have the eyesight minimums for a SNA before you start training. Once you get into a platform I guess things change, but I'm not sure. I think eyesight req's for rated pilots are different than SNA's req's.

PRK is great, I had it done. Search around on the other post sections for more information.

I fly. Me pilot?

DanMav11

Wait, so do you fly Navy? Were you in before you had PRK, or what? I mean, I am soon to be 16, so I have some time, but my eyes haven't changed for the worse in 4 years, so what are my chances? I have read that I am well within the limits of getting PRK, so how does that work?

jet_ifr

No, I'm not a Naval Aviator and I hope I haven't given anyone the impression that I am. I'm a USMC Officer Candidate that's been through lots of hoops. Read my bio if you want to. Don't even consider having PRK until you're over 20, most doctors say that your eyesight keeps changing until your early 20's, just like the rest of your body. I looked into PRK when I was 19, luckily I didn't have it done until age 23 b/c I grew 2" gained 30lbs and my vision changed substantially. Wait until you're damned sure that you want to have it done. If you want to try to get your vision in better shape without surgery try the See Clearly method at http://www.seeclearlymethod.com/ It works.

I fly. Me pilot?

hawkdocfmf

If you go to www.vnh.org (Virtual Naval Hospital) you can research the requirements, it will be under the Manual of the Medical Department. It will state all requirements for entry and flight physicals including eyesight as well as many other restrictions and disqualifiers.

JayManC

most doctors that Ive come across in my search on PRK wont even consider touching your eyes unless youre over 18 for a nearsighted correction and 21 for an astigmatic correction...meanwhile they also want to see stability in your prescription

<insert something witty here:>

Rainman

pilot
and to clarify future requirements as per NAMI's website:

Student Naval Aviators (20/40 cor to 20/20) only apply until "they complete their physical at NAVAEROPMEDINST prior to commencing training." Once you have your API physical, SG1 standards apply (20/100 cor to 20/20) to continue flight school.

DanMav11

Wait, so you have to have better vision to be a SNA than a real pilot? What's up with that? Does anyone know of any waivers available?

Yeah, me and my eye doctor did talk about PRK, but he said he wouldnt touch me until I was at least 18, but he recomended 21. He also said I am a better than perfect candiate for it, and my vision hasn't changed in 4 years, so it seems pretty stable.

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by DanMav11
Wait, so you have to have better vision to be a SNA than a real pilot? What's up with that? Does anyone know of any waivers available?

YES! Why bother with an "applicant"? Once you start training they have placed significant investment. You can go to:
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/index.htm (i know, i know, it's been posted a lot) and read all about everything to do with every physical requirement. There isn't a waiver for DVA listed; I think they would have to PRK you.

I did the National Vision Institute's eyesight improvement system:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684814382/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/102-1078213-5803351?v=glance

Highly recommend this book. especially helpful to those that have a touch of myopia from intense computer work/reading. When I was investing 40 minutes per day at this back when putting "package" together I went from 20/40 to 20/25 in about 90 days. Pretty remarkable--but a lot of work.

DanMav11

I don't know I am just kinda scared, that everything that I've been preparing for might go down the drain. Becoming a Naval Aviator is why I do some sports, and try my hardest in Math, and all of my subjects, and why I try to "push my envelope". I hope that I can get PRK... is it still allowed? I've heard so much crap about that too...

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by DanMav11
bump... is all lost for me?
Not sure where your going with this. . .if you have 20/40 vision or better with the other requirements you're money. If you don't go learn a bunch about PRK and get it done.
Crystal?

DanMav11

I got it, I have better than or equal to 20/40, but in my right eye, my refractive error is above the level. O well, I guess I can get PRK.

Status
Not open for further replies.