• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old Missiles

jmcquate

Contributor
What happens to all of the old AIM-54s, AIM-7s and outdated AIM-9s that were never used?

BigRed389

None
De-mil/harvested for usable parts. At least that's what I've seen in other weps programs.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
I know we shoot -B model Hellfires for practice in the helo world. My understanding is they are usually 80s vintage. We'd load -K/-M/-N in real life.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I shot a live warhead Sparrow at a drone at NWSEP last summer. As I understood it, those shots are to test the stock of missiles that are in war reserve. No idea if that is true. A bunch of other guys shot older Sidewinders as well.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd love to turn and old TV or IR Mav into the sweetest mailbox on the block. . .
How about my favorite... AGM-12C "Bullpup", radio-controlled by Pilot - 2,ooo#/1,000# warhead beast. Fired 21 of these in combat, DEADLY accurate (although they barely scorched the famed "Dragon's Jaw" bridge at Thanh Hoa)! Now a big badboy 'Pup mailbox ought to give home invaders second thoughts!:eek:
*BzB preflightihg Bullpup-C on CVA-64, 10/06/67
Bullpup Preflight.jpgDFC #3.jpgAGM-12C (2).jpg
BzB

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
There's no way to say this without sounding ridiculous so here goes...

You Sir, are a badass.

Humbled and honored to wear the Wings of Gold...thanks for sticking around to tell the pups how it was.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
How about my favorite... AGM-12C "Bullpup", radio-controlled by Pilot - 2,ooo#/1,000# warhead beast. Fired 21 of these in combat, DEADLY accurate (although they barely scorched the famed "Dragon's Jaw" bridge at Thanh Hoa)! Now a big badboy 'Pup mailbox ought to give home invaders second thoughts!:eek:
View attachment 11846View attachment 11848View attachment 11847
BzB
We had Bullpups in the P-3 world once upon a time. They took them away because they kept setting our wings on fire when we shot them.

Lawman

None
I know we shoot -B model Hellfires for practice in the helo world. My understanding is they are usually 80s vintage. We'd load -K/-M/-N in real life.
Your shitting me.... We stopped shooting Charlie Models in the Army a little while ago because they were so prone to going errant (like impersonating an ICBM errant) . We're up to shooting Fox's now for training purposes and most assumptions is the old SAL I seekers in War Reserve only have a couple years left before they are all useless.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
From ground side, old FIM-92 stinger's are shot for practice or decomed, or maybe rebuilt into newer cool things....

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
View attachment 11846View attachment 11848View attachment 11847
BzB

To piggyback on what Scoober said...

Because of posts like this I think we should petition Websan to create a new post rating of BADASS. The Like and Agree ratings just don't seem enough...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Your shitting me.... We stopped shooting Charlie Models in the Army a little while ago because they were so prone to going errant (like impersonating an ICBM errant) . We're up to shooting Fox's now for training purposes and most assumptions is the old SAL I seekers in War Reserve only have a couple years left before they are all useless.

We probably bought our B's from the Army... Who was trying not to giggle at us when we paid for them!!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Sadly, tis true. The scariest flight I ever had was when I was buddy lasing for a guy and their Hellfire, B version of course, went straight up after it left the rail. Landed about a mile away about two minutes later. Pretty long two minutes sitting there wondering where that missile went.