• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old School Phantom drivers...Need a history lesson...VF-33 from 68'

Citation3

I'm working on a VF-33 jet and the instructions call for the removal of all the slime lights. Were slime lights introduced after the time frame of this jet from 1968 or were they removed or covered for some reason?

This particular jet was a mig killer and carries a black nose. Was the black nose a standard on a jet of this time frame or was it added to signify the jet had a combat kill?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Regards.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
I'm working on a VF-33 jet and the instructions call for the removal of all the slime lights. Were slime lights introduced after the time frame of this jet from 1968 or were they removed or covered for some reason?

This particular jet was a mig killer and carries a black nose. Was the black nose a standard on a jet of this time frame or was it added to signify the jet had a combat kill?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Regards.

"Slime" lights didn't come in until the F-4S mods to the F-4Js starting in around 1980-ish. None of the F-4s (be they F-4B or F-4J) had formation lights out of the factory and none were installed until NARF North Island began modding F-4Js to the F-4S standard.

Black noses meant nothing. Some squadrons left them white, some continued the anti-glare black down to a point on the nose (VF-154 and VF-92, were two), and some squadrons painted them black (VF-21 for one... there were lots of others).

Citation3

Thanks..

Thank you both for your time answering my questions. Also, thanks for the great links.

Regards.