• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old School VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have a (relatively) new member, ip568, who served as an NFO on both P-2s and P-3s. I thought it would be interesting to pick his brain about 'old school' VP and get a little insight into a side of Naval Aviation we don't hear a whole lot about. Rather than hide the thread in Private Orion Forum, I've opted to keep it open to everyone, for now.

Be advised, think before you post, let's try to keep it on track.

To get the ball rolling, some questions for ip568:

1. If you wouldn't mind, what was your background and training syllabus like?

2. Your fleet squadron(s)? Deployment sites?

3. Typical missions? Not so typical? What was the P-2's role in Vietnam?

4. Model(s) and capabilities of the P-2s you flew with?

5. How was the transition to the P-3? (both personally and your views on the Fleet's reaction)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok here is a question what squadron and when? I spent a day with VP-8 in 1991 for a high school job shadow program would like to say thanks again to anyone of that era, might be before his time but thought I would throw it out.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I'm curious how you track a sub with paper grams... i've seen them on the reserve planes we use for bounce birds, but i'm not even sure they work!

Did you ever use the diesel sniffer?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
PropStop said:
I'm curious how you track a sub with paper grams... i've seen them on the reserve planes we use for bounce birds, but i'm not even sure they work!

In a lot of ways, the paper grams were better than the waterfall displays. You could "eye integrate" by getting down low and looking across the paper. Many contacts were found 15 or 20 minutes later by this eye integration. With the waterfall displays, that history was not there and these contacts would go unnoticed until the ASWOC, TSC or whatever they call it now did the post-mission analysis.

Throw in a lost contact pattern around the eye-integration datum and poof - you get the bad guy and become the hero. At least that is how it worked for me after the wing flew 160 some flights with no contact on a Delta III until my SS1 did his majic with his trust old paper gram AQA-7.

Now the old ASN-84 interials, those were a piece of crap. Don't know how we ever kept our sanity with those. We actually had to use celestial nav to update the inertial positions.....25 miles off at the end of a 6 hour flightwas considered an excellent inertial. Anything within the service volume of the tacan you were aiming for after 12 hours was acceptable.

ZAB1001 - there is a private Orion Forum? How does one become a member of such an illustrious club? Is it like the Private Naval Aviators forum that one day just showed up on my screen?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...bump...

for anyone else who wants in to the 'illustrious' club, ship me a case of Yuengling Lager or a box of 12 Kloster's 40oz'ers from Utapao...

nah just go to the main forum page and scroll down, click on Private Orion Forum and it will prompt you to send a join request. Only criteria is to have officialy selected Warpigs...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
case of Yuengling Lager or a box of 12 Kloster's 40oz'ers from Utapao...

The first choice I will agree with, the second......well, I guess if you like formaldehyde, but I don't. That and I don't want to be suprised by the amount of alcohol, 0.17% or 17% this time? You just like it because it reminds you of the beautiful sights...... :icon_wink

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
We have a (relatively) new member, ip568, who served as an NFO on both P-2s and P-3s. I thought it would be interesting to pick his brain about 'old school' VP
Good call, zab:

While you are at it, ask ip568 why the wheel brakes "SQUEEEEEELED" so loud on those old P-2 birds? When they used to go taxiing by @ NAS Whidbey, we almost ejected from fright ....

I have flown with several people on the "line" who used to do the Aleutian drill in the P-2's and now, of course, P-3's. Did they ever go surfing at the beach on Shemya Island?

ip568

None
hi

>>We have a (relatively) new member, ip568, who served as an NFO on both P-2s and P-3s. I thought it would be interesting to pick his brain about 'old school' VP and get a little insight into a side of Naval Aviation we don't hear a whole lot about. Rather than hide the thread in Private Orion Forum, I've opted to keep it open to everyone, for now.

Be advised, think before you post, let's try to keep it on track.

To get the ball rolling, some questions for ip568:

1. If you wouldn't mind, what was your background and training syllabus like?

2. Your fleet squadron(s)? Deployment sites?

3. Typical missions? Not so typical? What was the P-2's role in Vietnam?

4. Model(s) and capabilities of the P-2s you flew with?

5. How was the transition to the P-3? (both personally and your views on the Fleet's reaction)

Sorry for the delay. I never got this message.

P-3: On my initial tour I went through the P-3 RAG at Moffett (VP-31). This followed FAETUPAC at North Island for three months learning the old ASA-16 and P-3A baseline systems, topped with SERE School (bummer, man). VP-31 was tough and relatively unforgiving. I then reported to my new squadron (VP-1), which had just gotten P-3s. They had been the last flying the SP-2H and had had a quickie P-3 course. I flew the P-3B baseline and P-3B DIFAR mod in VP-1.

I left active duty in 1972 and joined the reserves at South Weymouth. They had the SP-2H, so I got qualified in it as NAV. The planes were used up. We usually had to come back from a flgith with an engine on fire or the gear wouldn't extend or some other problem. For my NAV NATOPS check flight, every piece of nav gear was broken so I did cel nav and DR up to Nova Scotia and back.

I had to leave the reserves in 1974 for a job. In 1980 I re-entered the selected reserves. By then, VP-92 had the P-3A. In 1984, we got the P-3B TACNAVMOD, a very sweet airplane. The nav systems were so good that basically all a NAV did was monitor the systems. In 1991 I was promoted out of my flying billet, so I finished with 21 years standing the base CDO watch at NAS SOWEY once a month.

In VP-1 we went EVERYWHERE: started in Washington state, then first deployment to Vietnam, then restationed to Hawaii, then another deployment to Vietnam, with side trips to Japan, the Philippines, Okinawa, China, Hong Kong, French Frigate Shoals, Midway, etc., etc. In Vietnam we staged out of NAF Cam Rahn Bay. In VP-92, did AT in the Azores (a lot), Portugal, Spain, Bermuda, Holland, England. P-3s are THE WAY to see the world and you get to bring your own airplane.

P-3 missions in VP-1 were either ASW (covertly finding and tracking Russian subs that didn't know we were there), or maritime patrol, as in Vietnam, where we'd fly tracks and rig everything within so many miles of our track. Got exciting some times. In P-2s we basically just tried to get back before something caught fire or fell off the airplane (TFOA). In VP-92 we did more sub tracking and some open ocean surveillance.

The P-2s in Vietnam were used for maritime surveillance (see above), same as the P-3 did later. The Army got some P-2s from the Navy, loaded them with guns and cannons, and went out and blasted the crap out of the Viet Cong. We bunked with some of them at Cam Rahn, the Black Cats.

As noted above, the fleet transition from P-2s to P-3s was generally positive. With 4 engines, no P-3 ever had to ditch crossing the pond. One of the VP-1 P-2s was lost coming back from Japan when it lost one recip. The crew lit both jets, but because the jets burned five times as much avgas as the recips they didn't have enough fuel to make it back so they made a controlled ditch. Everyone got out -- barely -- and were picked up.

Hope this helps. Here's an Army AP-2.

AP-2H.JPG

ip568

None
yes

>>I'm curious how you track a sub with paper grams... i've seen them on the reserve planes we use for bounce birds, but i'm not even sure they work!

=============================================
Yes, I'm an old fart. The paper grams showed what today's crt displays show, but there were fewer. The P-3A/B had one non-acoustic station (JEZ) with four paper grams. You had to keep switching bouys to get more info. The DIFAR MOD added a second JEZ station, so now you had 8 paper grams. The TACNAVMOD airplane added 8 crts to 8 paper grams, and voila! 16 bouys could be monitored.

I did use SNIFFER early on when we had the baseline P-3B. It worked great, and we were sorry to see it go. It could detect a fishing boat 40 miles away, let alone something bigger, like a snorkeling sub. We'd just keep swinging back and forth across the SNIFF IN until we got a SNIFF OUT and then swing back again. Yoo soon had a LOP to fly down to mark on top.

ip568

None
>>Good call, zab:

While you are at it, ask ip568 why the wheel brakes "SQUEEEEEELED" so loud on those old P-2 birds? When they used to go taxiing by @ NAS Whidbey, we almost ejected from fright ....

I have flown with several people on the "line" who used to do the Aleutian drill in the P-2's and now, of course, P-3's. Did they ever go surfing at the beach on Shemya Island?
==============================================

EVERYTHING squeeled on a P-2. They were old and used-up.

I never made it to AK. One place I missed. I also missed an opportunity to spend three weeks on the beach in Australia, drinking Fosters, but that's another story...

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
IP568, thanks for the great replies. Of course, you've opened up more questions from me! We don't do much that's cool anymore, so i'll live vicariously through your adventures - at least until i've had a few of my own.

The jets on the P-2 weren't always on? what were they there for?

How many weapons could you carry on the P-2? Did you have a tail gunner?

What kind of buoys did you use to hunt with? How well did you MAD work?

What is "cel" navigation?

The p-3 quite loud and a sub can hear us easily if we pass all that close. How were you able to track subs without them knowing you were there?

is this too many questions?

Thanks man, this is great info!

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
flynsail said:
I'm gonna have to say it is celestial navigation. If I'm wrong, I apologize for responding before ip568. :eek:

that would make sense! Wish they still taught that, just because it is cool.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
that would make sense! Wish they still taught that, just because it is cool.
They were still doing Cel shots in '95 when I was flying P-3s. I don't know what kind of INS you guys have now but the old Littons were drift monsters. When I left the squadron, they were just starting to experiment with a portable GPS system with an antenna they stuck out the pyro pistol port.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Brett327 said:
They were still doing Cel shots in '95 when I was flying P-3s. I don't know what kind of INS you guys have now but the old Littons were drift monsters. When I left the squadron, they were just starting to experiment with a portable GPS system with an antenna they stuck out the pyro pistol port.

Brett
Littons were drift monsters? You should have flown with the ASN-84s. We were in heaven when we got the Litton 72s. When I did my DH tour in 94-96, no one ever complained about Litons having excessive drift. It was also still a requirement to do one cel shot per flight than.

GPS?- you young guys are sooooo spoiled....

BTW a good way to keep track of all things VP: http://www.vpnavy.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.