• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Old Squadron Air Strike Video in Vietnam

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some usually obnoxious friends of mine from Brand-X (VF-161) put together an interesting, old school video of an air strike over the "North" from their 1972 cruise. Some good pics, and some good, clear 8mm.

If you can get past the ready room Abott and Costello part at the start of the vid, it gets pretty good later. Also note how "some things" were far different back then as to a few rules and regs. :D

http://www.midwayphantom.com/Video/1972-Chap1.htm

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Nice ... and what a treasure.

We had something similar -- all movie, though ... no stills ... made by one of our photo-gifted B/N's -- it was edited & re-edited until it had the appearance of a professional production. He called it "Summer of '72" which was ripped off from and used the music from the 1971 movie "Summer of '42" ...the result was so good that Grumman bought all the rights to it, used it as a marketing tool ... and I've never seen it since.

It detailed an entire ALPHA up over the North ... from brief/launch to recovery and everything in between ... very well done and quite moving/inspiring. It even had combat shots w/ SAM trails going through the formations and included audio and video of CDR Owens' (VA-192 Golden Dragons) shootdown.

It was going to be made available to all squadron personnel for a nominal charge until Grumman bought it and squelched that idea. I regret not having a copy to this day ...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It detailed an entire ALPHA up over the North ... from brief/launch to recovery and everything in between ... very well done and quite moving/inspiring. It even had combat shots w/ SAM trails going through the formations and included audio and video of CDR Owens' (VA-192 Golden Dragons) shootdown.

It was going to be made available to all squadron personnel for a nominal charge until Grumman bought it and squelched that idea. I regret not having a copy to this day ...
What a shame. That would be something to see.

It always amazed me how anyone could photograph SAMs in the air, even if you weren't its target. There always were more than one in addition to all the AAA, and things got really busy to be on a photo shoot. ;) Took some balls, I think. Of course that is also why those photos and films are quite rare, and a real treasure if you have one.

KBayDog

"Dances with Phantoms." Great video, especially the ending. Didn't know Marion Morrison was a squadron mate of yours. Was he a good stick?

I was just down at Midway on Monday; I try to get there every few months. Based on the ready room shot at the beginning, it looks like the Midway folks did a great job of re-creating things.

BTW, Cat, I've been here half a decade already. I lived in your neighborhood for one of those years, and have lived just on the other side of "the hill" for the past four. I was even running in your neighborhood this morning (albeit failing in my attempt to dodge rain drops).

When, good sir, are we finally going to raise a pint together?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Could a BusyBee get a 'C arlie Time' for an additional pint? I reside in Lemon Grove. Been a member for 2 years, only met one AW face-to-face (RenegadeOne). BlackBart also lives nearby, was my Cat O on CONNIE in '67, we could swap fairy tales? :party_125
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW, Cat, I've been here half a decade already. I lived in your neighborhood for one of those years, and have lived just on the other side of "the hill" for the past four. I was even running in your neighborhood this morning (albeit failing in my attempt to dodge rain drops).

Oh. So now you shame me publicly for not getting together? :D

Actually I thought we were going to get together the other weekend. Don't know what happened to that.

You work. I don't. So whatever fits your schedule. I like Amber and Pale. Even tomorrow. And if you run in my neighborhood, you are always welcome to stop by the house on Vivaracho Ct. with Old Glory flying on a flag pole... unless it's near St. Patrick's day when I fly a couple of Irish flags. :D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Actually I thought we were going to get together the other weekend. Don't know what happened to that.
Kbay and I did get together - where were you? We were hoping you'd show. Must have been my breath or something....

But beware of Kbay, the wiley rascal. As you stagger away from your merriment he slips you a rectangular metal object that can best be associated with a squadron coin. I can only surmise his devious mind hopes that in future encounters, you will be "sans coin" and that it will be your "coin" providing the golden nectar.

Oh. So now you shame me publicly.....
You're a fighter pilot - we all know you have no shame.....

Seriously, if you get the chance, have a beer with Kbay. You'll have a good time.

KBayDog

I PM'd you and told you HAL and I'd be at Oggis. We closed the place down. (Actually, they kicked us the hell out...)

But beware of Kbay, the wiley rascal. As you stagger away from your merriment he slips you a rectangular metal object that can best be associated with a squadron coin. I can only surmise his devious mind hopes that in future encounters, you will be "sans coin" and that it will be your "coin" providing the golden nectar.

Just as xnvyfler about that one. MUAHAHAHAHA!

Cat, PM sent.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kbay and I did get together - where were you? We were hoping you'd show. Must have been my breath or something....

You're a fighter pilot - we all know you have no shame.....

Seriously, if you get the chance, have a beer with Kbay. You'll have a good time.
Sorry. I actually was looking forward to that. But I never got the exact time and place. Or else I did, but with my age or maybe Alzheimer's, I forgot it. :(

As for any "shame" I do sometimes try to fake it. Deception, you know. :D

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Sorry. I actually was looking forward to that. But I never got the exact time and place. Or else I did, but with my age or maybe Alzheimer's, I forgot it. :(

As for any "shame" I do sometimes try to fake it. Deception, you know. :D

You know, that excuse is as golden as the Ensign salute. Everyone expects it, and not much else. :D

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Any AW's making it to Waco I will buy the first 2 rounds of drinks! I've been trying hard this last month but the best I could get was I've heard of the site. :(

You'll have to look me up in building 7404 to collect...