• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

One Last Cruise...Again?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TR is doing previously scheduled CQ and VF-31 is part of it as a member of duty air wing. Everyone is watching the situation in Lebanon though.

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Interesting. I guess they're still the ready carrier - back to work!

Brett

I figured CVW-7 would be the most carrier ready wing, Apparently not.

Some unit is gonna have to jump in and fill the void of VF-213, though (A buddy of mine saw a couple VFA-11 Rhino's with AG on the tail last week down there. Maybe VFA-11 will temp leave CVW-17 to join 7 and let 103 move to 8?)

Guess we'll know in due time.

Bevo16

pilot
The Regan just got back a couple of weeks ago. It's a longer trip for them, but they are keeping an eye on things too.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Some unit is gonna have to jump in and fill the void of VF-213, though (A buddy of mine saw a couple VFA-11 Rhino's with AG on the tail last week down there. Maybe VFA-11 will temp leave CVW-17 to join 7 and let 103 move to 8?)

Guess we'll know in due time.

When did TR get back from their last cruise?

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VFA-203 Forever said:

They just got back from Fallon so they're getting ready to go on normal cycle. Idea of FRP is to have a duty carrier for situations like this. The East carrier is TR and her airwing (CVW-8). As of this morning, no official word on whether she'll be called to participate has been released.

From the article:
"The F-14 was designed to provide air superiority over Soviet fighters in dogfights staged in defense of U.S. aircraft carriers. Thus, it did not transition well to other roles, such as the precision bombing called for in Iraq. "

Sheesh....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the article:
"The F-14 was designed to provide air superiority over Soviet fighters in dogfights staged in defense of U.S. aircraft carriers. Thus, it did not transition well to other roles, such as the precision bombing called for in Iraq. "

Sheesh....

Yeah, that explains the (Black Aces, wasn't it) McClusky trophy a few years back. Friggin' media . . .

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
They just got back from Fallon so they're getting ready to go on normal cycle. Idea of FRP is to have a duty carrier for situations like this. The East carrier is TR and her airwing (CVW-8). As of this morning, no official word on whether she'll be called to participate has been released.

Thanks for the info, Heyjoe.

I knew -7 had been working up for the past few months but hadn't heard anything further on a deployment date.

Sure hope I get to see the Turkey in September at NTU but hey, If it'll keep the 'Cat alive at least a few more months, It won't be so bad.

Adam

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the article:

Sheesh....

The guy who wrote the article (LAURENT L.N. BONCZIJK) apparently didn't do any fact checking....blatant errors include:

1) The Navy...has decided to instead dispatch the carrier to the Middle East with its current squadron of F-14s - including the one promised to the museum.
TR is doing Fleet CQ as planned and a phone call to CHINFO could have confirmed that fact.

2) Last used in the bombing of targets in Iraq in October....
TR didn't get to theatre until then and the last F-14 combat mission was completed on February 8, 2006, when a pair of Tomcats landed aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) after one dropped a bomb in Iraq. The plane was part of VF-31 and the last pilot credited with a bomb drop in combat was Lt. Bill Frank. An F-14D from VF-213 was the last F-14 to land on an aircraft carrier after a combat mission, it was piloted by Capt. William G. Sizemore. These facts are in news releases accessible to anyone and google will do all the work for you at light speed.

3)The F-14 was designed to provide air superiority over Soviet fighters in dogfights staged in defense of U.S. aircraft carriers. Thus, it did not transition well to other roles, such as the precision bombing called for in Iraq.
An disgruntled USAF driver must have told hm that because even Hornet drivers acknowledge Tomcat precision strike performance. The F-14 was designed Fleet Air Defense against threat of Soviet bombers and their deadly cruise missiles hence its large size due to large radar and Phoenix Missile system. Nobody ever envisioned "dogfights" in defense of the aircraft carrier. But, more importantly, the transition of the Tomcat to take on the tactical photo reconnaissance role of the RF-8 and RA-5 dedicated Recce assets gave the Tomcat its first sustained baptism of fire. The next transition was that of not only as a precision strike aircraft, but as a Forward Air Controller, Airborne (FAC (A)). The Tomcat transitioned into this role in less than 200 days of first demo of the LANTIRN targeting system on a Oceana Tomcat in 1995. It went on not only to become a valuable precision strike asset, but a Tomcat squadron won the prestigious Admiral McClusky award for its superlative strike performance over Kosovo. The runner-up, another Tomcat squadron. The Tomcat was the precision strike platform of choice in Kosovo, OSW, ONW, OEF and OIF, period.

4) VF-31 is one of only two squadrons in the U.S. Navy still flying Tomcats. The Navy, which began taking delivery on them in the early 1970s, has been steadily swapping them out of its carrier-based squadrons in favor of the more versatile Hornets.
There is only one Tomcat squadron in operation in the US Navy (Iran still operates an unknown number) since VF-213 turned in their Tomcats upon return to the states in March. Furthermore, all Tomcat squadrons that are transitioning have been transitioning to the F/A-18E or F model Super Hornet, which is a totally different aircraft than the basic "Hornet".

Glad I got that off my chest...think I'll blast this to the managing editor of the NewsRegister.com as well. This single bit of erronous reporting has set off waves of rumors and emails and posts.....the folks in in McMinnville, Oregon may not care what he feeds them, but it's about time the press started getting responsible about the impact of their reporting...that will be the day, huh?:icon_rage