• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Opportunity for Grad school?

flopper

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask what are the chances for a NA to go to a grad school of their choosing. I was recently selected for BDCP pilot and am awaiting final select. In the interim I have thought about my options of going to grad school or flight school when I graduate. Just wanted to ask what is possible with the commitment of 10 years. Thanks in advance

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
There are some relatively recent threads on this site that should explain a few of the options as well as discuss the pros and cons on going to grad school as an SNA select or as a Winged NA.

I did the Navy Scholarship Program (OPNAVINST 1520.24B), and if you've got any more questions after you do the searching and reading, let me know.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
I don't know what options are open for BDCPers prior to winging, but you should look into it. If you can go get a Master's early it will save you some time and heart ache later.

As I had it explained to me, while in grad school as an Ensign (In primary now), that the aviation community expects you to have a Masters degree by the time you are an 0-4 or there abouts. However, when you ask a detailer about grad school options, generally the response is "Now isn't a good point in your career." Basically, again as it was explained to me by an 0-4, there really isn't an easy place in an aviators career path for him or her to attend grad school. I've heard most people do it in the evenings on their own time.

Of course, if I'm wrong someone feel free to correct me, but that was how it was explained to me.

flopper

Basically, again as it was explained to me by an 0-4, there really isn't an easy place in an aviators career path for him or her to attend grad school. I've heard most people do it in the evenings on their own time.

^^^I hope that isn't the case. Beans, I looked into that 2 year program and it sounds like a good deal. I was looking more along the lines at a PhD program. I guess to be more specific, is there a certain time that you have to wait after winging in order to apply for more education? I just don't want the ten years to pass me by and not further my education. I also don't think the night/evening would be too feasible for a chemistry major, I just haven't seen too many programs that have grad stuff for that at night. Anyone here gotten a PhD through the Navy? Thanks for the replies so far.

phrogpilot73

Think about it this way: Flight school is similar to survey classes in college, and the fleet is like your 100-400 level courses. What do you think?

Realistically, I would say that your first shore tour (approx 4-5 years after winging) is a realistic time to start looking towards grad school...