• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Order of operation

Fetter

I posted a thread a while ago about my childhood asthma...
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17888&highlight=asthma

I haven't done any further testing about my current condition, although I have been running without any breathing problems at all.

I am wondering something...
If I am correct, when I apply for Navy OCS or Marine PLC/OCC the way it works is first I take the ASTB, then send in a packet and try to get selected. If I get selected, then, I go to MEPS for a physical and fitness test. Yes?

If so, then I could keep quiet about my asthma history until I get "selected" and then deal with it when I go to MEPS. This would give me something to stand on rather than shooting myself in the foot by telling the recruiter that I've had Asthma in the beginning.

Is this advisable?

Thanks,
Brandon

scarfacekracker

I would come out and tell your OSO about your medical condition. There is no point in hiding your medical condition becuase they will find it. If it doesn't bother you anymore you should be able to pass whatever tests they throw at you. You do not want to begin training and then have an issue arise. I would come out with the info about your condition as soon as possible and see what can be done about it instead of simply hiding it until later down the road.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
If I get selected, then, I go to MEPS for a physical and fitness test. Yes?

I remember going to MEPS before I was selected for anything. It's part of the package.

Basic logic, why would the Navy go through the paperwork to select someone only to have them go to MEPS and say, "Oh, you're colorblind, so you can't be an unrestricted line officer." Doing MEPS first cuts down on this sort of bullcrap.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whatever you do, do not check your integrity at the door. If you encounter paperwork that asks about your medical history, then you have to be honest. It would be a good idea to read the waiver instruction for asthma so you know your arguments and what to emphasize when honestly answering the questions. If there is a perception that you were not honest in your application, they will drop you from the process and the door will close forever.