• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oriskany sinking

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
I saw the Oriskany at P'Cola a couple weeks ago. She looked really bad. I mean in really terrible shape. Sad.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Shakey said:
I saw the Oriskany at P'Cola a couple weeks ago. She looked really bad. I mean in really terrible shape. Sad.

I highly doubt they would have invested money in refurbishing the ship when they have already put millions of dollars into sinking her. It would be like giving a girl an engagement ring when you already know you're gonna leave her for her sister.

Swmtb

Sneakin'
I was at the beach on Monday afternoon, saw them towing her out. It felt strange watching a ship put to sea when you know that she's going to be sunk with in the next couple of days...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Saw some video on the net... looked interesting... she'll be a good use in her next life.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
SINKEX and REEFEX are much better ways for a ship to die than being turned into scrap.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Fly Navy said:
SINKEX and REEFEX are much better ways for a ship to die than being turned into scrap.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Also, the community had to fight pretty hard to get the O put where it is. The local diving community is estatic, and there have already been more than 60 divers to visit the site (not counting Navy divers). Supposedly, it has already begun to attract quite a bit of wildlife.

I haven't been down myself, but the top of the tower is reported at 69' and the flight deck at 130'. That's a bit deep, but still well within the range for recreational divers.

It's officially called the "USS Oriskany Memorial Reef." Pensacola is already a pretty decent dive location (you can even see a wrecked T-34), but this will make it way better. People go to a lot of effort to see the Saratoga in the Marshall Islands. It was billed as the worlds largest sunken ship at 888' and the only carrier, which is no longer true since the Oriskany is the same size.

You can check out some underwater pics here.
http://www.mbtdivers.com/OriskanyPics1.htm

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pdx said:
I agree wholeheartedly.

Also, the community had to fight pretty hard to get the O put where it is. The local diving community is estatic, and there have already been more than 60 divers to visit the site (not counting Navy divers). Supposedly, it has already begun to attract quite a bit of wildlife.

I haven't been down myself, but the top of the tower is reported at 69' and the flight deck at 130'. That's a bit deep, but still well within the range for recreational divers.

It's officially called the "USS Oriskany Memorial Reef." Pensacola is already a pretty decent dive location (you can even see a wrecked T-34), but this will make it way better. People go to a lot of effort to see the Saratoga in the Marshall Islands. It was billed as the worlds largest sunken ship at 888' and the only carrier, which is no longer true since the Oriskany is the same size.

You can check out some underwater pics here.
http://www.mbtdivers.com/OriskanyPics1.htm
Interesting pics. Any idea what the keel to mast depth is?

Brett

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Total height of the Essex class carrier is listed as 147'. I'm guessing this is about right, since they sunk her in about 220' of water and the highest point of the wreck is said to be 69'. I know a guy who has already dived it, he says it's great. Hoping to swing by there sometime and dive it myself :snorkel_1

EDIT: Website with streaming videos: http://www.pensacoladivecompany.com/video_files_page.html