• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Outprocessing Air Force to Navy with Dependents

USAF_WX2USN

I know that there are several other people on this board that came from another service before becoming a Naval Officer and can possible answer this for me.

I know that I will technically be seperating from the Air Force and then will roll right into the Navy. However, since I'm seperating ,will they be take my military ID and my dependents until I'll be re-enrolled sometime in the beginning of OCS?

My concern is that my kids will continue at the CDC at my current duty station and I want to make sure my husband can still get on base (as well as base services/medical).

Thanks!

Herk_Airlifter

None
I left the AF for the Navy. At your final out they will take your card (it is part of the out-processing checklist). Unless you will be joining the Navy the very next day, you will be without a card. If you haven't done this already, look into the Transitional Assistance Medical Program (TAMP) run by Tricare and see if you are eligible. DON'T turn in your ID card until you figure this out, meaning do it before your final out. If you are eligible, they will change your status in DEERS, enroll you in TAMP and give you a different ID card so you can still get medical benefits (not a CAC card). The circumstances of your separation will determine your eligibility. Talk to AFPC and make sure you get the correct code for TAMP on your separation orders. If you do qualify and get the right code, DEERS will help you with the rest. Once DEERS has changed your status you will have to coordinate with Tricare. My advice to you is to call both Tricare and DEERS and get the info first hand. Best of luck!

USAF_WX2USN

Thank you so much! I will look into what you suggested and go from there. Since you did go through the whole AF to Navy process, any other tips are things I should know about in regards to out processing or records?

Herk_Airlifter

None
My situation was a little different than yours because I was already an officer so I didn't have to go through OCS, but I am happy to pass on any advice that might help make your transition smoother.

Print all your e-records from PRDA and vMPF. Make sure your last EPR and decoration make it into your record. Your DD-214 is really the MOST important thing. Don't wait until the last minute to start working this. Look at the worksheet under the separations tab on vMPF and submit changes where required. Since the AF has put all the control of separations at AFPC your DD-214 will be generated by a civilian in San Antonio. You will not see your final 214 until it gets mailed to you so you need to make sure it is correct.

My recommendations:
1) Find out in advance who will be generating your actual 214. You can call AFPC for this information. Get the direct line number for this person. Call them in advance to coordinate a date/time during your last week so you can go line by line on the 214 and make sure everything is correct. I could tell you some horror stories I heard from other people while going through this process myself. The worst story being that some who should have had a honorable discharge got a general discharge and is still fighting it. The reason this happened is because of 214s being generated at AFPC and not your actual separations clerk (like the Navy does). You should be able to tell by your 214 worksheet if you will have problems based on the number of errors.

2) Make sure all your training is accounted for. This is tricky because you will need to work with your separations clerk to ensure MILPDS is correct. All the training you went to should be loaded and coded with a "G" which means you graduated. If no "G" is present, it will not be on your 214 because AFPC thinks you didn't graduate.

What is the time frame between your separation date and your OCS date?

USAF_WX2USN

Thanks again! That is very helpful! I currently do not have an OCS class date. I'm just trying to get as much information in advance that I can, especially to make sure my husband and kids are all set. According to VMPF, they want 8 weeks prior to your seperation date to get everything squared away. My fear is that I will be given less notice than that. Currently, everything on the VMPF/DVB is correct and my last EPR and dec are already being worked, but without a class date yet, it's has not been submitted, but I'll be sure to tell my leadership here to get everything in ASAP as soon as my class date is known. My seperation date will be the day before I either leave or fly out for OCS, so there should be no gap in pay/TIS.

I have some info regarding the VMPF process through a few guys currently going through it, but I don't think any of them have kids.

Wow I wouldn't think that being a reservist in the Air Force, out process would be so much different than being active. It only took me a day to out process they gave me a check list I went everywhere on it, then took it back to relocations on base and that was it. They never took my ID card just my line badge.

USAF_WX2USN

PCSing is just as bad. It's a several month process and that just for going to another base. Changing services has all the same stuff, but all the additional separation stuff. I'll need at least two mths.

snake020

Contributor
Wow I wouldn't think that being a reservist in the Air Force, out process would be so much different than being active. It only took me a day to out process they gave me a check list I went everywhere on it, then took it back to relocations on base and that was it. They never took my ID card just my line badge.

When I did the interservice transfer they were going to take my ID card, but since I was swearing into the Navy the next day I managed to get the Airman behind the counter to apply common sense.

It took a month after arriving at NAS Pensacola before they would re-issue my CAC as Navy. Many gate guards were confused why a dude wearing Navy khakis was handing them an Air Force ID.

Thanks again! That is very helpful! I currently do not have an OCS class date. I'm just trying to get as much information in advance that I can, especially to make sure my husband and kids are all set. According to VMPF, they want 8 weeks prior to your seperation date to get everything squared away. My fear is that I will be given less notice than that. Currently, everything on the VMPF/DVB is correct and my last EPR and dec are already being worked, but without a class date yet, it's has not been submitted, but I'll be sure to tell my leadership here to get everything in ASAP as soon as my class date is known. My seperation date will be the day before I either leave or fly out for OCS, so there should be no gap in pay/TIS.

In theory there will be no gap, but be aware that your DFAS Air Force account won't simply carry over into your new DFAS Navy account, some technician may not get it right, and you may not immediately get paid. I waited two months to start getting paid by Navy, and the 30 days of leave I left the AF with did not get transferred over automatically. It took many trips to PSD and past LES's I'd printed out from the Air Force as evidence for them to fix my leave balance, as well as my pay date.

My advice: print out your last few LES's from the Air Force and keep a hard copy of all of your records in case you need to set PSD straight when you make the switch.

USAF_WX2USN

When I did the interservice transfer they were going to take my ID card, but since I was swearing into the Navy the next day I managed to get the Airman behind the counter to apply common sense.

It took a month after arriving at NAS Pensacola before they would re-issue my CAC as Navy. Many gate guards were confused why a dude wearing Navy khakis was handing them an Air Force ID.

In theory there will be no gap, but be aware that your DFAS Air Force account won't simply carry over into your new DFAS Navy account, some technician may not get it right, and you may not immediately get paid. I waited two months to start getting paid by Navy, and the 30 days of leave I left the AF with did not get transferred over automatically. It took many trips to PSD and past LES's I'd printed out from the Air Force as evidence for them to fix my leave balance, as well as my pay date.

My advice: print out your last few LES's from the Air Force and keep a hard copy of all of your records in case you need to set PSD straight when you make the switch.

Thanks for the info! I was told from someone else switching that we had to use all of our leave prior to seperating for OCS? I only have a few days anyways, so it wasn't a big deal. I'm planning on getting multiple copies of every piece of paper from my military career to ensure any issue that may come up will be covered. I'll also try my best to keep my ID card (or at least my husbands).

USAF_WX2USN

Do you know of things like SGLI and TSP will auto rollover or will I have to reset that up? I'm assuming that I'll also have to reset up the direct deposit?

snake020

Contributor
I crossed straight from O-2 AF to O-2 Navy, so your mileage may vary with whether or not you can carry leave over entering OCS. But as far as TSP, direct deposit, etc., I had to set it all up from scratch as if I were entering the service for the first time.