• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pacemaker

Sparkysj

I have a pacemaker and Im 23. Ive had it since I was 13. I take blood pressure pills (5mg, neglidgeable dose), but my BP is within the limits on its own~140ish. Also I wear contacts. In a nutshell, my medical luck was not the best at ALL.

I do have a third class medical from the FAA.

I have get a defacto answer of whether or not I would pass the medical. I don't even know what the specific requirements are or where to find them. I always grew up presuming I couldn't pass, but having gotten the FAA to agree Im safe enough to fly, I have to wonder what the USMC would say. My dad flew Harriers so this isn't something I've not just come up with out of the blue. I found this forum by accident and thought I would ask. I dont want to be 30 and find out about some kid with a pacemaker flying F18s - I would die.

Let me know what you think.

:icon_wink

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/index.htm

The cardiology section of the NOMI waver guide can be viewed by following the link posted above.

No one can dispense (accurate) medical info over the internet. At the bottom right hand corner of the page above is some phone and internet contact for the medical folks at NOMI. They likely won't give you an answer over the phone. But, they can point you in the right direction.

To answer your question, I don't think your chances are good...but, you will never know until you try. Maybe Rugger can provide you with a more accurate answer.

Good luck.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a pacemaker and Im 23. Ive had it since I was 13. I take blood pressure pills (5mg, neglidgeable dose), but my BP is within the limits on its own~140ish. Also I wear contacts. In a nutshell, my medical luck was not the best at ALL.

I have get a defacto answer of whether or not I would pass the medical. I don't even know what the specific requirements are or where to find them. I always grew up presuming I couldn't pass, but having gotten the FAA to agree Im safe enough to fly, I have to wonder what the USMC would say. My dad flew Harriers so this isn't something I've not just come up with out of the blue. I found this forum by accident and thought I would ask. I dont want to be 30 and find out about some kid with a pacemaker flying F18s - I would die.

Couple things here.

Max blood pressure is 139 (systolic) and 89 (diastolic). Any blood pressure over either of those and the member will not be recommended for a waiver. Additionally, folks requiring medication for controlling their blood pressure will not be recommended for a waiver.

Additionally, according to NOMI, having a pacemaker is incompatible with flying status.

This doesn't mean your chances of ever flying for the Navy/Marine Corps are over. It just means you have an uphill battle to fight in order to make it happen.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Many arrhythmia conditions are considered disqualifying and the NOMI waiver guide stipulates that pacing treatments are not compatible with flying duties. Of course, only Naval medical personnel can give you a definitive answer based on your specific condition.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Max blood pressure is 139 (systolic) and 89 (diastolic). Any blood pressure over either of those and the member will not be recommended for a waiver. Additionally, folks requiring medication for controlling their blood pressure will not be recommended for a waiver.

This is true for the initial physical. Once you are already qualified, if your BP is controlled with certain meds, it will be waived. Trust me, half of TACAMO would be NPQ if this was not the case. Let's just say that we had docs for a couple years that were a little more liberal about the whole 140/90 thing and then BAM! we got a stickler. Had about 10 pilots go down for BP during their annual physical. I know this topic has been discussed before, just re-emphasizing since it was brought up.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
For what it is worth, if the Navy says you are not qualified to fly and that is what you want to do most of all, you may consider another service branch.

The Army may be willing to provide waivers due to their current obligations. In addition, it may be worth investigating the Air Force, Coast Guard, and Air National Guards in various States before giving up.

Of course, you may not fly a fighter jet, but if you truely want to fly you may be able to accept a position as a helo or large aircraft pilot or NFO.

If you would rather be a Marine Officer, then there may be other poistions for you to apply.

Just some avenues to consider.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is true for the initial physical. Once you are already qualified, if your BP is controlled with certain meds, it will be waived.
I know, but if you can't get past the initial physical, nothing else really matters.

Sparkysj

Thanks for the replies. Yup I figured that's mostly the responses I would get. Im not so worried about that BP thing, its lower when I exercise every day. With those silly pills its around 120. Thanks for the link.