• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pakistan to Get F-16s from US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the Su-30MKI's, Mirage 2000's and Mig-29's that India has I don't think that Pkistan getting an extra few F-16's should really worry them too much. A good reward for the Paki's and their tacit support for the war in Afghanistan.

Trivia question, anyone here know what foreign government agency helped form the Taliban?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
O yeah, I wasn't trying to make it seem like it was a bad thing... just news. I think it's good we are gonna sell them some; it may make other people realize how serious we are about Bush's policies. Like you said, a good reward for good help.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Helped form the Taliban ??? Probably the CIA .... (*edit*) ooops, sorry, you said "foreign" --- I think it was the Pakistani ISI -- their "secret service" .... ???

Washington keeps playing a seesaw game in the region, depending on the timings. During the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s, Washington offered F-16s to Pakistan on an exclusive basis. But in the early 1990s, it imposed restrictions under the Pressler Amendment. I flew with/against some Pak F-16 drivers when they went through training at Luke AFB in the early 80's and they "liked" the Lawn Dart , but they "loved" their F-86 Sabres they were getting rid of as a result --- according to their pilots.

Pakistan has been waiting since 1990 for these additional planes. The Presser Amendment banned military transfers unless the U.S. administration could certify that Pakistan did not possess a nuclear weapons program. Pakistan paid for the undelivered aircraft until 1996 and then demanded the return of about $620 million.

paf_f-86f.jpg

PAF F-86E SABRE @ mid '60's

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good God :eek: . . . F-86s to F-16s? That's a heck of a generation gap.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
F16_GreenFrountires.jpg

Yeah, I was dubious at first, too --- the Paks mentioned they "missed their F-86's" when one went taxiing by while we were walking out to the flight line. The particular F-86 was some civilian contract outfit towing a banner target. The Paks were first-rate pilots ... very professional.

Check it out: the latest Pak F-86 kills were made in the '71 war ... if some of the designations are confusing, check the weapons ... 12.7mm = .50 cal BMG = Sabre.

Pakistani AF Air-to-Air victories, 1959-2003

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The Taliban came from one of the mujahideen groups. They were supported in the late 70's and 80's by the United States when they were fighting against the Soviet Union.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Just to update on this news story, the State Department announced that India, too, will be allowed to purchase F-16s, and they are considering the sale of F-18s as well.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
So we might get to REALLY find out which A/C is better ... F-18 or F-16 ... plenty of each in the boneyard to choose from ....

But then, it ALWAYS depends on the guy driving --- and the Paks are better , IMO.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I had no idea that the Pakistanis had a good air force. From the page you posted, A-4s, it definitely looks like they can hold their own, even with the outdated F-86. I also read (in some Aviation magazine) that India had a good air force too. The article was about some AF F-15 crews going up against Indian SU-27s. Apparently the Indians held their own.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Yes, they're BOTH good --- AF, Navy, and Army. They're kind of military descendants of the British Raj ..... and that means "good old Limey" military tradition, heritage, discipline, and stiff upper lip runs through both the Paks and Indian military establishments. Especially in the senior ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.