• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pakistan

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
From Reuters: Musharraf imposes emergency rule

Looks like Pres. Musharraf has suspended the Pakistani Gov't in a bid to protect his own power. Apparently, he was under the impression the the judiciary wouldn't let him run again due to the fact that he's also the Army Chief of Staff.

Seems like this could be a potential destabilizing force in the region. Some are even calling it a potential failure of US Diplomacy in the region.

Anyone with a little more background knowledge care to chime in?
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSCOL19928320071103?pageNumber=1

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I have been waiting for months now for Pakistan to implode, I am just surprised that it hasn't happened yet. I certainly was not shocked to hear of the attack against Bhutto.

Grant

Typical 3rd world dictatorship. They only observe their constitution when its convenient.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From Reuters: Musharraf imposes emergency rule

Looks like Pres. Musharraf has suspended the Pakistani Gov't in a bid to protect his own power. Apparently, he was under the impression the the judiciary wouldn't let him run again due to the fact that he's also the Army Chief of Staff.

Seems like this could be a potential destabilizing force in the region. Some are even calling it a potential failure of US Diplomacy in the region.

Anyone with a little more background knowledge care to chime in?

It is a bad situation and getting worse. The radicals are increasing their violence against the regime and the public is getting restless, a very bad combo (think Iran in 1978/79). Add Pakistan's nukes, it just gets worse.......:(

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I love the knee-jerk reaction from the press to the effect that this is somehow the US's fault. Of course, according to them, everything IS our fault, but it seems rather patronizing to assume that we control, and thus are responsible for, all of our "allied" countries.

So now we've got a very shaky military dictatorship with nukes, with a country full of US troops on one side, a nuclear-armed blood enemy on the other, and crazed Islamic radicals waiting in the wings.

There is really just no way that this is going to end well for anyone involved, is there?

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
It seems to be a lose lose for Washington right now. There is going to be some tight rope walking for the next few weeks it seems, or longer.