• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Panel Nav Training

Sabre170

None
Sorry this is a repeat, I didn't know my other post made it before my PC froze up.

Could some of you SNFOs currently in Intermediate and Advanced in San Antonio shed some light on what the training and outlook are like? What planes do you train in? What kinds of missions do you fly? What the selections like? What airframe are most being selected for or selecting? Is there any info out there about the future of the P-3 and EP-3? When the P-3 changes to a new airframe, what will the transision be like for NFOs in the "old style" plane? Will they get to choose a new plane, like the S-3 guys did, or will they all be retrained on the new plane?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since no one is chiming in, I'll speculate that NFOs will not be given the option to transition beyond the normal occasional switch. Maritime is such a small community that the majority of guys will end up moving to the MMA (737). Allowing guys to leave in droves will just leave a gap in available personnel with MPRA experience. Keep in mind, the S-3 guys weren't given the option to fly a follow on aircraft for the Viking.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry this is a repeat, I didn't know my other post made it before my PC froze up.

Could some of you SNFOs currently in Intermediate and Advanced in San Antonio shed some light on what the training and outlook are like? What planes do you train in? What kinds of missions do you fly? What the selections like? What airframe are most being selected for or selecting? Is there any info out there about the future of the P-3 and EP-3? When the P-3 changes to a new airframe, what will the transision be like for NFOs in the "old style" plane? Will they get to choose a new plane, like the S-3 guys did, or will they all be retrained on the new plane?

The 'Panel Nav' school out at Randolph take about 6 to 7 months, you actually know your graduation date the day you start (and it doesn't change unless you rool out of your class). When I went through the class woluld concentrate on one type of Navigation (Basic, Radar, Celestial and Overwater/longrange) for a 4-6 weeks. You would start out with classroom work, then sims and finally a few flights in a T-43 http://www.aerofiles.com/boe-t43.jpg , a old 737 that carried about 12 students on a flight (that was always fun).

The options for Navy guys were and still are the P-3, EP-3 and E-6. The future for the E-6 is pretty secure. The MMA, the replacement fo rthe P-3, is still progressing though there is always the possibility that could be cancelled. Finally, they have selected a replacement for the EP-3 but that has run into a little trouble. I would not worry too much about future employment though, they will still have a need for both EP-3 and P-3 type aircraft.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Sabre170

None
Thanks for the reply.

I do have a few questions about the Nav trainning portion... Am I wrong in thinking that on P-3, EP-3 and E-6 the Pilots do the navigating? I am under the impression that the NFO does other things.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the reply.

I do have a few questions about the Nav trainning portion... Am I wrong in thinking that on P-3, EP-3 and E-6 the Pilots do the navigating? I am under the impression that the NFO does other things.

At least on the P-3 side, the pilots do the airways navigation stuff. Tactically, the Nav is plotting, updating, and checking position in reference to stuff like standoffs, the Battlegroup, etc etc. He/she is also constantly checking the status of the inertials and giving the flight station fly-to points (also done byt he TACCO depending on the situation, I'm dumbing all this down considerably). The Pilots have their own charts, GPS, TACAN, etc, but a it's a must to have a solid, trustworthy nav in the seat. There's just too much stuff going on. There's a reason why they implemented a Nav on the crew back in the day.

From an outside (Pilot's) perspective, the NAVCOMM is definitely busy as sh!t, and has a ton to do, but I think it's definitely preparation for the upgrade to TACCO. Multitasking is a required skill and if the guy can't keep the inertials in line while paper-plotting and constantly making radio calls, there's no way he can track a sub, direct the AWs and point the Pilots in the right direction.