• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PAO question

titusmcgrifth

Hey, I just have a basic question about the Public Affairs Officer (PAO). Has anyone who is in the Navy/Marines, etc... seen exactly what a PAO does on a day to day basis? I've read most of the websites and pamphlets, but I wanted to get the perspective from people who have actually interacted with them (even if it was just a casual "hi"). I basically put down Intel, Crypt, and PAO for my package, so I just want to find out what an average PAO would experience (tours, combat, etc...)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only about two PAOs taken a year. Probably don't have to worry about getting the job and not knowing what you have signed up for. PAOs only go to sea on CVNs and since there are so few, it is a very career enhancing assignment. PAOs serve on the staffs of very senior officers/commands, at Naval bases, and in DC. They run the entire media/public information operation in the Navy. You meet with reporters, movie directors, authors, and others doing research on or reporting on the Navy. PAOs advise senior leadership on public relations activities and liaison with local media. Some PAOs run the Navy's in house media affairs like publications and cable TV shows. They are the officers that lead the enlisted journalists that write for navy publications, appear in military news broadcasts, and photographers and film makers.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
PAO's are recruited almost exclusively from active LT's on the Officer side; not sure I know anybody that has been picked up right off the street in the past few years.

titusmcgrifth

Thanks for the feedback. I realize that PAO is extremely competitive, which is why I put it down as my third designator. I already have a degree in Journalism/Media Studies with a little experience in PR (around a year), so I'm hoping that will make me a more competitive candidate for that category. Hey, you never know if have a chance if you don't roll the dice, right? My packet goes in by the end of this week, so wish me luck!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the feedback. I realize that PAO is extremely competitive, which is why I put it down as my third designator. I already have a degree in Journalism/Media Studies with a little experience in PR (around a year), so I'm hoping that will make me a more competitive candidate for that category. Hey, you never know if have a chance if you don't roll the dice, right? My packet goes in by the end of this week, so wish me luck!

Hey, if you have the degree, and after a few years commissioned service still feel like it is a field you want to go into, you would be a perfect candidate for a lateral transfer to PAO. Like Rocky said, that is how we get most of our PAOs.