• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Paper Planes attack from Space

cisforsmasher

pilot
I realize I have just been posting random crap from the internet lately but I saw this and thought some one might else get a good chuckle from this random ass idea.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23029202/wid/11915829?gt1=10939

It sounds like a fairly sound theory to me but then again I am no aero major. Considering most of the earth is water and a good chunk of the land is uninhabited, they are going to have a hell of a time finding even one of these things. If anything, they should prototype the program by making an aircraft large enough to carry a GPS transmitter and release it from a balloon 100,000 ft or higher.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
That sounds like something I would have recommended as a 5th grader. But hey, if they want to spend time throwing paper airplanes, more power to them.

I don't think the 100,000 balloon launch idea is what they're looking for. They're trying to see if reentry from space at orbital speed will cause them to burn up. Launching from a static balloon at 100000 doesn't do that. It just provides a really tall place to throw a paper airplane from.

STLEngineer

pilot
Sounds pretty farfetched to me.

The whole theory seems to be based around paper being lightweight.

Well duh, we could make the space shuttle lightweight too, but then we couldn't carry anything. Either that or it would have to be HUGE to have a similar weight/volume ratio.

Doesn't make any sense from a practical standpoint (at least to me).

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
That's my point. I get the physics of it, I just don't see this being practical for anything.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
This would make a great MythBusters episode.....as good as the plane on a treadmill.

TopShot

BDCP SNA
Well this idea is similar to the one that Burt Rutan used on his SpaceShip One. His spacecraft was made of composites and had a folding wing which allowed it to go much slower thru re-entry, so there would be no need for heat shields. In short, less weight and slower speeds means less volatile re-entry for space craft. Just trying to make space travel a little safer I guess :D.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Burt Rutan's spaceship one barely cracked Mach 3 on its fastest flight. It was designed basically as a very high flying, rocket powered airplane. Such as it was, that vehicle could never attain any type of orbit. They won the X-prize based on altitude, not trajectory. As for the paper, that type of craft is impractical for orbital reentry and the length of time it would take to decelerate from suborbital speed would offset any high-speed gains you'd want for a high-speed transport. Remember, in the article they said they have no idea where these things will wind up.

The only application I can come up with for this would be high-altitude atmospheric research. But balloons would be cheaper. All I'm asking, is what's the point of this?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What about a 1000 little airline booze bottles with messages inside dropped out of orbit.

Now that's a way to spend research money!

mini-liquor-bottles.jpg

Of course someone would have to empty them all..... :D

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
What about a 1000 little airline booze bottles with messages inside dropped out of orbit.

Now that's a way to spend research money!

mini-liquor-bottles.jpg

Of course someone would have to empty them all..... :D

Holee Snap, Shnugg!!! Those are a lot of little nip bottles.