• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Pappy Boyington Field" film

PBF

Do you remember Pappy Boyington and the Black Sheep?

Pappy Boyington was the leader of the VMF-214 Black Sheep Squadron in the Pacific during WWII, an Ace Fighter Pilot, POW, and recipient of the Navy Cross and the Medal of Honor.

The documentary film "Pappy Boyington Field" tells the story of the grass-roots effort to honor this WWII Hero in the town of his birth, with a commemorative airfield naming...and the campaign was not without controversy.

Boyington led a hard-living, hard-fighting life, and the aggresive nature that made him an effective combat leader, also contributed the notoriety of his personal life. He shared much about these battles in his best-selling book BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP.

In the 1970's NBC premiered the television series 'Baa Baa Black Sheep', which starred Robert Conrad as Pappy, and this highly rated show introduced a new generation to the legendary squadron.

The documentary film was invited to be shown at the recent EAA AirVenture Oshkosh airshow, and has been show on several military bases around the country.

Here is a Movie Review by the Marines.

It has recently been featured in Libertas Film Magazine.

The documentary features unique insights about Pappy from some who knew him; his son Greg Boyington Jr. LtCol USAF-Ret, (a 2nd generation fighter pilot) is intereview, and also the actor Robert Conrad who portrayed Boyington.

It includes WWII film footage and photographs from the USMC Archives, as well as footage of modern-day Marine Corps aircraft. The DVD is an ideal gift for fans of History, Naval Aviation, WWII, or the Baa Baa Black Sheep television series.

Semper Fi,

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
You can't blame anybody but Boyington for the town not wanting to name the field after him. His own attitude and actions pissed off and alienated a lot of people.

My mom worked for Braniff for 21 years. As a kid I used to love to go to her work because her boss, Mr. Brown, had served in the A.V.G. with Hill, Smith, Boyington, et al, and their office was decorated with memorabilia from his time in the Flying Tigers. Back then "Black Sheep Squadron" was on TV - I loved it and still do btw - and I never missed an episode. Of course once I learned that Boyington had been in the A.V.G. I asked Mr. Brown what Boyington was like. His quote to me: "Boyington was a self centered, drunk S.O.B. who didn't give a damn about anybody but himself. He was a glory hound who sought the limelight at the expense of others."

Since then I've read several books about Boyington including his autobiography, and while I'm not taking away from what he did that merited him being presented with the Medal of Honor, I do understand why the folks in his home town are reluctant to name the field after him. At the end of the pilot episode for Black Sheep Squadron, Robert Conrad as Pappy says, "Show me a hero, and I'll show you a bum." I don't know if Boyington actually said that, but he certainly proved it true in his case.

Flugelman

Contributor
I met him at a CAF airshow in Harlingen back in '80. He was signing books for a couple of bucks. He looked pretty sad. The phrase "Rode hard and put away wet." came to mind at the time.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I met him at the Reno Air Races once and agree with everything said above. But I still respect the hell out of the guy and think any MOH holder deserves all honors possible.

PBF

Tex_Hill,

You're correct about the Hero quote, Boyington himself use that quote as the ending to his book 'BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP'. He was certainly a complex figure, and his personal behaviors are well known.

Just one thing I'd point out about your statement about the airfield naming campaign, the majority in the town supported the commemorative airfield name despite the character flaws, which was used by the some opponents. It was rather interesting to note that most people were able to objectively separate his military achievements from his personal issues, and afterall, it was an airfield not an elementary school that the Veterans wanted named after him.

It's a fair question you raise about people's perceptions of him, and the documentary does explore his reputation in the context of the local campaign.

Cheers,

Flugelman

Contributor
I met him at the Reno Air Races once and agree with everything said above. But I still respect the hell out of the guy and think any MOH holder deserves all honors possible.

Completely agree with that. My comment was meant to only be about his appearance at the time.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Tex_Hill,

You're correct about the Hero quote, Boyington himself use that quote as the ending to his book 'BAA BAA BLACK SHEEP'. He was certainly a complex figure, and his personal behaviors are well known.

Just one thing I'd point out about your statement about the airfield naming campaign, the majority in the town supported the commemorative airfield name despite the character flaws, which was used by the some opponents. It was rather interesting to note that most people were able to objectively separate his military achievements from his personal issues, and afterall, it was an airfield not an elementary school that the Veterans wanted named after him.

It's a fair question you raise about people's perceptions of him, and the documentary does explore his reputation in the context of the local campaign.

Cheers,

I personally wouldn't have had a problem with naming the field after him, but I understand the opposition as well.

BTW, do you already have an idea for your next documentary? If not, may I suggest fellow Texan, Col. Robert Howard U.S. Army Special Forces http://www.jimtraber.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63695

The following article should be required reading for every American.
The Greatest Hero America Never Knew

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hmmmm ... let's see ... Boyington was a type-AAA personality, a self-promoter, an asshole, had personal problems, drank too much, liked to mix it up, was aggressive, was a frat-guy, was in ROTC, was a wrestler, swimmer, worked hard in the summer, was a UW grad, was a Naval Aviator (o.k. Marine, if you must), was a life-taker & heart-breaker ... and liked to kill bad guys.

And was a survivor.

On balance, I think I could live with all that ... :)
smile.gif

PBF

Today in WWII History:

On September 16, 1943 Major Boyington shot down 5 enemy aircraft in one day.

The VMF-214 Black Sheep Squadron had just begun their combat tour on Sep 12th, but this day was their first engagement against the enemy. Their mission was to provide cover for a group of Torpedo Bombers and Dive Bombers, and then they ran into a large group of Japanese fighters over Ballalle.

The 24 Black Sheep took on a group of 40 enemy aircraft, the dogfight was spread out over 200 square miles and lasted 30 minutes. The Black Sheep shot down 11 aircraft, and another 9 were Probables. One Black Sheep did not return, and was later listed as MIA.

Major Boyington shot down 5 enemy aircraft during the mission, his first victories as a Marine, even though hepreviously claimed 6 victories as a member of the AVG 'Flying Tigers' in China. This now brought his running victory count to 11 enemy aircraft.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
99 AirWarriors: I wouldn't put too much weight into the reluctance of some inhabitants of present-day Coeur d'Alene, ID 'not wanting' to rename the field "Pappy Boyington" or anything else remotely related to the military arts, spirit, and virtues.

Remember the shit-storm a few years ago when the UofW wanted to put up a statue/memorial of 'Pappy" .... ???

It's a GREAT place, and I visit it regularly 'cause I like the area .... but: present day Coeur d'Alene (the airport is actually in Hayden, ID ... 4-5 miles north) is kinda' like Seattle and San Francisco, in a sense -- formerly GREAT Navy towns, but they are now largely inhabited and 'run' by a collection of soft, lily-white, white wine sipping, brie cheese eating, ass-wipes who have NEVER done a thing for their country ... so the present day population and some of the protestations should not be confused w/the hard(er) scrabble lot that ran & dug mines and contributed something to the region in the 'old days'.

Believe it.

H60Gunner

Contributor
99 AirWarriors: I wouldn't put too much weight into the reluctance of some inhabitants of present-day Coeur d'Alene, ID 'not wanting' to rename the field "Pappy Boyington" or anything else remotely related to the military arts, spirit, and virtues.
OK, A4’s agree but also disagree. CDA is my home town, I left over 28yrs ago to join the Navy. When I came back it was not the same. We have had an influx of people from other states driving up property prices, left leaning attitudes, etc.. With the destruction of the mining industry, Bunker Hill mine, and serious scaling back of the timber industry the area was hit hard. We the people are still here and part of the reason the airfield was in fact renamed. CDA City council et al be damned. I am actually from the Silver Valley, once the mining capitol of the world, with legal prostitution, and lawlessness abound as early as 1990’s. Proud of that? Yup, some tough people come from this area. Two MOH awardees that I know of.

Remember the shit-storm a few years ago when the UofW wanted to put up a statue/memorial of 'Pappy" .... ??? .
Yup and another reason why I do not live west.
It's a GREAT place, and I visit it regularly 'cause I like the area .... but: present day Coeur d'Alene (the airport is actually in Hayden, ID ... 4-5 miles north) is kinda' like Seattle and San Francisco, in a sense -- formerly GREAT Navy towns, but they are now largely inhabited and 'run' by a collection of soft, lily-white, white wine sipping, brie cheese eating, ass-wipes who have NEVER done a thing for their country ... so the present day population and some of the protestations should not be confused w/the hard(er) scrabble lot that ran & dug mines and contributed something to the region in the 'old days'.
True, but embellished a little. If you ever get your ass over here drinks are on me, and THAT is an open invitation, just give me a heads up. Horseback /Muleback rides are free at the ranch. Believe it.

PBF

Today is National POW/MIA Day

On August 29, 1945 - Pappy Boyington was liberated from Omori Prison camp near Tokyo.

The announcement of the Imperial Japanese acceptance of surrender terms was on August 15th, the War in the Pacific was over. Many Allied Troops were not entirely safe however, either in remote combat zones or in Prisoner Camps.

Pappy was shot down during a dogfight over Rabaul, his wing man George Ashmun was killed and Pappy had to bail out of his damaged Corsair. He parachuted into the Pacific, and was eventually captured by a Japanese Submarine while he floated in his raft.

He was quickly identified and categorized as a VIP Prisoner because of his fame as a leading Ace Figter Pilot. He was not officially reported as a POW, from Rabaul he was sent to Ofuna Prison and then eventually to Omori Prison near Tokyo. Pappy was held as a Prisoner for 20 months.

Please take a moment today to remember all the POW/MIA.

POW-MIA-Flag.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Baa Baa Blacksheep is well worth a read. Boyington, for all his foibles was truly an American fighting man at a unique time and despite what I now recognize as significant cheese I was in front of the TV every night for the TV show.

My 13th birthday gift was the John Ficklen's print of Lullubell, his Corsair (even though he rarely flew that particular plane) signed by Boyington. It hangs in my office to this day. Here's what it looks. http://ehangar.com/printgallery/print_detail.php?o_id=1047

Ficklen is a former NA and was an Eastern pilot with my Grandfather.

PBF

Marines land at "Pappy Boyington Field".

Four fighter jets landed at Coeur d'Alene Airport/Pappy Boyington Field this weekend. A big treat for the community to have Marines stop over during their cross-country flight. Pappy would be proud, Semper Fi.

PBF-F18.jpg

Attachments

• f-18.jpg
    f-18.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 5