• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Parking at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNU-OCS

I have a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon and its my pride and joy, i worked for 2.5 years straight to pay for this car. My question is about the security at OCS for our cars and trucks. Are they guarded? What are the chances that someone will vandalize them? Im thinking maybe i ought to bring a car cover to protect it somewhat from the elements. What do you all think?

Crowbar

None
I saw some car covers there. Probably not a bad idea for winter. If you were going in the summer a window shade/reflector would be a great idea.
There was a lot of construction over the summer, so you had to park out in this gravel/dirt/mud lot out by the brig, and drive through a mud bog (slight exaggeration) to get there. I heard rumors there are guards on the lot but our company never did it so I don't know for sure.
I never heard of anybody vandalizing or doing anything to anybody's cars. You'll park with other candidates so you'll know all or most of everybody else you see there. We had no incidents and I've never even heard stories of one.
I would definitely keep a set of jumper cables, though. I know I had to use mine once to help somebody out, and if someone's battery is weak to begin with, parking it for weeks on end in the cold won't help. Just a thought...

Clux4

Banned
I think you car will be fine. Vandalizing your car will not be possible because there are MP's that parade the area, the brig is down the street. As far as a car cover, I would not bother about it. I am sure 10 weeks outside will not affect the paint since you will be driving it about every weekend once you get the first liberty.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
maybe things have changed, but when I was there in '02 the duty platoon had to send out extra firewatches to guard the parking lot. If nothing else it was a good excuse to keep you from a little more sleep.

jwperkns

parking

I am at OCS right now. This is our last liberty before graduation. Parking is in a gravel area next to the brig. The warehouse option was never given to candidates. We did POV watch (personally owned vehicles) at first, but not now. It is very secure.

peanut3479

pilot
We too had POV watch at OCS - basically a good excuse to keep your cell phone in your car along with some pogeybait. It stopped around week 7 or 8 though - we speculated it was because one platoon didn't have enough cands. left to cover that and firewatch, but who knows.

Parking at TBS is mostly in a lot adjacent to the BOQ and there are other places to park - a little bit farther but no big deal. How quickly the main lot fills up depends on how many companies are on deck at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.