• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Partial Ejection from a inflight A-6

Skidtz

Puddle Pirate
Wow.

Incredible - To be able to react so precisely while your BN's hanging out the roof - shiznitt. I can only hope to be so good. Unbloodybelievable.

I turn into jello at the word "simulated". Man, what a long way to go.

-skidtz-

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah I read that a while back. I think it was posted here on the site but with so many new people browsing these days it's great that you posted it again. It truly is an amazing story.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's like turning off your car as you get into the driveway...Bad $hit...esp. if you miss all the wires. He basically when to IDLE on Touchdown...A BIG NO NO!
ea6bflyr

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was on the flight deck taking pictures of a Russian Helix that was shadowing our CVN when this "emergency pull forward" was announced. I watched from next to the 2 wire on the foul line as he trapped. Thought for sure the BN was dead. Ugly, very ugly. As he lined up on centerline I remember looking at the A-6 and thinking, two engine, hook down, gear is down, maybe it's a hydraulic problem...then we saw him...Woops, never would have imagined that.
Just glad they both made it.
r/
Goz

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Patmack18 said:
He was actually given a cut guns to land wasn't he? Or did the LSO spank him for the idle in the wires?
the pilot got "spanked" for not going to mil power in the wires

S/F

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess if an Air Medal is considered "spanked."

Lots of things to consider on this mishap...how do you get out of the plane as the pilot...the canopy is not going to open as there is an ejection seat in the way, some initiators have fired....he had to climb out unstrapped in his gear with lots of stuff ready to catch and pull on things over a live partially used (as in fired) ejection seat.

Scary stuff.

I would think medicinal brandy would be more in line...just my 2 cents...

Cheers,
G

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
That's like turning off your car as you get into the driveway...Bad $hit...esp. if you miss all the wires. He basically when to IDLE on Touchdown...A BIG NO NO!
ea6bflyr

In this situation was this the right thing to do?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's some wild stuff.

carson_cp_7015173.jpg

Indeed.

Brett