• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Participation at NROTC w/o scholarship at an affiliated school

bobmiller

I have a simple question:can one participate in all the classes, drills, etc. in NROTC at an affiliated school without the scholarship for the first two years(but hopefully try to earn the two year scholarship later)? For example, UCLA has an affiliated local college, so can somebody go to that college and participate in the NROTC program at UClA until he hopefully gets the two year scholarship?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Have you tried calling UCLA and asking them about their cross-town agreement w/ said affiliated local college?

bobmiller

HueyCobra8151 said:
Have you tried calling UCLA and asking them about their cross-town agreement w/ said affiliated local college?

I emailed them about a week ago, but they haven't responded yet.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Hrm, I would look them up and find someone to call. It is harder for them to ignore you when you are on the phone.

Or even come down in person.

It's your career, you need to be proactive in your pursuit of it.

The email address might be outdated, or maybe whoever received it put it on the backburner and forgot about it - so you gotta stay on top of people to get stuff done.

This is also true for things in the future.

To answer your question: Yes. That's what I did (minus the scholarship part) and I just got commissioned on Sunday.

It can be done, but I'd start being a little more PROactive with my pursuit of answers if I were you. Face to face.

Good luck and please don't hesitate to ask more questions in the future.

-J

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
HueyCobra8151 said:
Hrm, I would look them up and find someone to call. It is harder for them to ignore you when you are on the phone.

Or even come down in person.

It's your career, you need to be proactive in your pursuit of it.

The email address might be outdated, or maybe whoever received it put it on the backburner and forgot about it - so you gotta stay on top of people to get stuff done.

This is also true for things in the future.

Concur.

Dude, I was stashed at a ROTC unit, and I know that the "points of contact" got 8-10 emails a day from everyone ranging from University types, Navy types, people in ROTC, people who had scholarships to ROTC, people who were anywhere from slightly interested to fully in the application process. Sending one email about the possibility of joining cross-town is easily the type that will get at the bottom of the proverbial stack.

Call them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And to top it off you won't have to wait 2 years (hopefully) for the scholarship. If your grades are good enough at the end of the 1st year, you can apply for a 3- or even 3.5 year scholarship. I was a former Academy wannabe who blew off my paperwork for the 4-year scholarship and ended up doing ROTC on a 3-year scholarship after 1 year of college program.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
bobmiller said:
I have a simple question:can one participate in all the classes, drills, etc. in NROTC at an affiliated school without the scholarship for the first two years(but hopefully try to earn the two year scholarship later)? For example, UCLA has an affiliated local college, so can somebody go to that college and participate in the NROTC program at UClA until he hopefully gets the two year scholarship?

What you describe above is exactly what I did, granted many years ago (started college in the Fall of 1988). I attended Cal Poly Pomona, participated in NROTC unit via college program at UCLA and picked up a 2 year NROTC scholarship. Of course being that it has been a while, I haven no clue if crosstown is still allowed. Maybe check out the NROTC website.

Birdman

HueyCobra8151 said:
I don't know about NROTC, but with the army's ROTC program I drove up there to the unit and talked to their recruiting officer. I filled out the paperwork and got in. I imagine that it is not a whole lot different in NROTC

bobmiller

Birdman1 said:
I don't know about NROTC, but with the army's ROTC program I drove up there to the unit and talked to their recruiting officer. I filled out the paperwork and got in. I imagine that it is not a whole lot different in NROTC

The same is true with AFROTC at UCLA.

bunk22 said:
What you describe above is exactly what I did, granted many years ago (started college in the Fall of 1988). I attended Cal Poly Pomona, participated in NROTC unit via college program at UCLA and picked up a 2 year NROTC scholarship. Of course being that it has been a while, I haven no clue if crosstown is still allowed. Maybe check out the NROTC website.

1) When you picked up the 2 year NROTC scholarship, did you transfer to UCLA, or did you continue attending Cal Poly Pomona?

sh89

If you go to a community college and participate at the NROTC unit at UCLA, and you don't get accepted to UCLA(after-all, it's a tough school),can you join the NROTC unit at another school, say, UCSD(assuming you get accepted to that school)?