• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passing of CAPT J. J. Coonan, USN (Ret)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From VADM Hoewing:

Trustees and President's Council,

It is with great sadness and with a heavy heart that I inform you of the passing of Captain John J. "JJ" Coonan, USN (ret). JJ passed away at his home on Friday evening surrounded by his entire immediate family. I spoke with Kathy briefly this morning and the family is tentatively planning on a service at the NAS Pensacola Base Chapel on Wednesday morning followed by a reception at the Museum. As you know, JJ was a key leader in the Naval Aviation Museum Foundation Staff serving initially as the Director for Development and later as the Vice President for Education and the Chief Operating Officer. However, we will all remember JJ for his most lasting and important contribution to the Foundation as the Executive Director of the National Flight Academy. I will pass more details including times, points of contact for coordination of support and ways that individuals can help JJ's family as they become available. I ask that you keep Kathy, JJ's mother and father, his children and his grandchildren in your thoughts and prayers.

Gerry Hoewing

LT Willie Keith

RIP Sir. CAPT Coonan was my CO during his deep draft "shoe" tour. A great man and an inspiration to all. Went on to be "Captain, America." Kathy a gracioius and beautiful spouse. Great Americans.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RIP Sir. CAPT Coonan was my CO during his deep draft "shoe" tour. A great man and an inspiration to all. Went on to be "Captain, America." Kathy a gracioius and beautiful spouse. Great Americans.

I flew with him when he was CAG 1 on USS America (one of last "old school" CAGs). Don't come any better.

Bjammin

pilot
He commisioned me when he was CO of NASC in Pensacola. I didn't know him well as the Poopie to O-6 gap is rather large, but he seemed like a stand up guy.