• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passing of David "Tex" Hill, Naval Aviator legend

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Tex" Hill was wearing wings of gold and had served aboard USS Saraogo and USS Ranger (in VT and VB squadrons) when he accepted an offer to join the Claire Chennault and the American Volunteer Group (AVG) in 1941 and head to China to fly P-40s with what became known as the Flying Tigers. He has passed away after suffering from declining health requiring hospitalization.

"Tex" was one of five AVG pilots that acccepted transition into USAAF in summer of 42 and rose to command the 23rd Fighter Group (the USAAF Flying Tigers) under command of General Chennault. When WWII ended, he had racked up 18 victories against Japanese opponents. He remained affliliated with USAF after the war and wore a general's rank before calling it quits.

Tex Hill (second from left) still wearing his Navy G-1 flight jacket while serving with the 23rd Fighter Group

0300alison1.jpg

USAF photo

Military Honors : Distinguished Service Cross, Distinguished Flying Cross with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters, Presidential Unit Citation with one Oak Leaf Cluster, Silver Star, Chinese Order of the Cloud Banner 4, 5 & 6th, 2-Star Wing Decorations, Chinese Victory Medal and British Distinguished Flying Cross.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Mr. Hill was obviously one of my greatest heroes. Sadly we're losing great men like him more & more every day & it doesn't look like we are producing as many men of his caliber as we used to.

What's interesting is that if you do a search in Google News for his name the first story listed is from a Chinese newspaper. It's nice to see that they remember the sacrifice these gentlemen made for them.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Mr. Hill was obviously one of my greatest heroes. Sadly we're losing great men like him more & more every day & it doesn't look like we are producing as many men of his caliber as we used to.

I disagree. I believe that we have the same caliber of people, but the environment has changed. The Tex Hills and Robin Olds' of today are squashed by the politics of top military brass. I mean, almost any minor blemish on your fitrep means that you can't make command. This pushes some of the pioneering individuals out. They literally focus on LT fitreps for command. I mean, come on.

God bless Mr. Hill

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Sad to hear of this, we owe a lot to the guys there before us.

In the summer of 73 I lived across the street (Bozeman, MT) from a guy who was a mech for the Flying Tigers. He passed away in 87...what stories he had about his time with them.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I disagree. I believe that we have the same caliber of people, but the environment has changed. The Tex Hills and Robin Olds' of today are squashed by the politics of top military brass. I mean, almost any minor blemish on your fitrep means that you can't make command. This pushes some of the pioneering individuals out. They literally focus on LT fitreps for command. I mean, come on.

God bless Mr. Hill

+1.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

God bless Mr. Hill

Definitely.

Last flight......"Tex Hill" :(