• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passing the physical with an illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn

Alright dudes, here's the deal...I am married, 25, and seriously considering joining up to serve my country and fulfill my lifelong dream of flying for the Navy. You know what I'm talking about. BUT, I have an illness called chronic hives that is very unpredictable. For those that don't know, "chronic hives" is a disease that can cover your body with what looks like welts, or huge mosquito bites, and let me tell you, they itch a whole lot worse. Some days are bearable, just a few hear and there, whie others require drugs to suppress the itching and help the hives go away. Fortunately, This is the exception. I developed this disease while in college down in P'Cola. I worked on grounds one summer and got it from the extreme exposure to heat. I also developed really bad allergies that I am currently being treated for with shots. A "Screwtop" friend of mine told me that he is good friends with someone who flies C-2s and in his words is a "walking allergy". He is encouraging me to go for it. For those of you that are familiar with it, what are my chances of passing the physical? I've heard they are extremely picky for pilots. My wife and I know what a huge change this decision would bring to our lives. The more info I get now, the better. Give me your wisdom! Thanks in advance.

Paul Burke

I just looked at the NAMI Waiver guide and couldn't find anything about Chronic Hives. So that's probably not a problem for you. The real problem comes into play with the allergies. If I were you what I would do is to go ahead and apply, go to MEPS, takes the ASTB, etc. and see what happens. If the flight Doc says something is wrong and says no, then address the issue directly and see about a waiver. There are no guarantees but what harm could it do right?

Brooklyn

Roger that Paul. No guarantees. I love the gusto that is in these forums. This is a BIG step for us though as I'm sure a lot of you married dudes can understand. Especially when we're used to stability. I know it's possible to raise a great family and have aviation as a job (job?!). My E-2 friend has been in for 10 years and he's doing great. "Hawkeye of the Year" actually! Anyway, this all helps. More than you know.

Jeff29

Science Project
Say no if the allergies are not documented. If they are documented, and the Navy finds out, well, that would be bad.

Brooklyn

I think it's pretty obvious in my records that I've been treated for allergies. So, is my friend's buddy a rare case of getting through with allergies?

wytee44

Brooklyn -

Here's what I can add from personal experience. I have a condition similar to yours called psoraisis vulgaris. I was prior enlisted and am now in a commissioning program called Seaman to Admiral, where they send me to school while I still receive my enlisted pay (biggest scam next to BDCP). Anyway, when I was first excepted to this program in 1999, I was physically disqualified due to my condition. I thought I was done for, but a corpsman who knew the system pretty well told me that if it looks close, they will DQ you. However, if you show how bad you want a waiver, they will give you serious consideration. I sent them everything I could get (letters from derm docs, history of my condition, pictures, etc.). Within a month, my waiver was approved. Again last July I had to take my pre-comm and flight physical. I passed with flying colors until I had to sit down with the flight doc. She told me that the NAMI guide not only said I was DQ'd, but the guide didn't even allow for a waiver. She really wanted to help me. We both thought it was just ridiculous that "dry skin" would be disqualifying. She sent an email to NAMI to see if they would even consider a waiver. They said ok, if BUMED approved my pre-comm. Thankfully, BUMED just approved my waiver and I just talked to Mr. Koppy down at NAMI and my flight waiver is on the way. Bottom line: don't give up, because odds are they are going to throw you some obstacles at you. If you want it bad enough and you have your ducks in a row, you have a great shot at getting that coveted waiver!

Brooklyn

Thanks for your post wytee44. My wife and I read it last night and were surprised that it all worked out! Her uncle has the same illness and we know how bad that can get. What would you have to do on those "bad" days to control the itching? I'm sure it won't help having all of your gear on in a hot cockpit. Someone else told me that it gets extremely hot up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.