• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Past history of Asthma...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemyst

Hey, I'm an aspiring Marine Corp Aviator(to fly an F/A-18 is my dream of dreams) and I know that both the Navy and Corp see the same type of flight surgeon for their physical, so this question is for Navy or Marines or any that know. My question is that I use to have Asthma when I was younger; I believe my last problems with asthma was at age 10-11. I have heard that a person who has not had problems with asthma since age 12 would not be disqualified or need a waver to become an aviator. Is this true, or is there more to this? Thanks in advance!

Jeff29

Science Project
First of all, I you never had a doctor diagnose it, it never happened. Second, if it was diagnosed, but only occured before age 12 then it is Not Considered Disqualifying (NCD) See http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/respiratory.htm (note this is for the Navy, I assume that the Marine Corps is the same, but I am not possitive).

I'm sure that if you check the "yes" box, regardless of when it happened, they will do a more thorough exam.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I'm not an expert or anything on this but one of my friends here at the NROTC at UT had asthma when he was a small child. He was a marine option and he whooped everyone's butt at PT so there was nothing physically wrong with him at all. Still after they found out he had asthma as a kid he was sent on LOA for a while then he was brought back but as a Navy option midshipman. I'm not sure if the Marine Corps shuffled him out or if he switched to the Navy on his own but I know now he's going SWO. Hope this helps a bit.

mattr

Sorry to bring back such an old thread, but. As I've now I'm 14 with a slight asthma problem, but I'm not sure if it has been diagnosed? I've been to the doctors several times and she wrote it on my record and I'm using an inhaler right now for mainly sprts-induced asthma. Does this mean that it has been diagnosed? She said it was an experimental thing to see if it would help in the future, but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.