• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pay at PLC

hornetflyr423

A quick question. I'm going to apply for PLC combined this summer and as I understand it, I would earn $2,985 for the OCS. I'm just wondering if thats after taxes or before? And I also have a lot of bills- more than $2,985. So does anyone know if you could defer bills, college loans while at PLC? Any help would be great.

JD

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
you will get paid as an E-5 (or higher if you are a prior), if that is the pay for an E-5 for 10 weeks then yes, that is how much you will make before taxes (I think depending on which numbers you used). As for deferring bills / student loans...NO you cannot. student loans are no longer deferrable while in military service (though they were some years back). I am afraid you will have to find a way to pay for your bills...

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Here are some older threads that address this question:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11765&highlight=OCS+BAH
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1888&highlight=OCS+BAH
Here's the current DOD pay chart:
http://www.dod.mil/dfas/militarypay/newinformation/WebPayTableVersion2006updated.pdf
Normally at OCS you will make E-5 base pay, which is taxable. You'll also have some things (e.g. uniforms) deducted from base pay.
That's the basic idea. I'd ask your OSO about the more specific questions.

When you say you have more that $2,985 in bills, what exactly are you referring to? Do you mean you have that much debt, or that you will need to pay that much over the course of the summer? You might want to see what your options are as far as setting up direct debit/ automatic payment for those bills while at OCS, so you at least don't have to worry about mailing in the payment.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I am planning on paying ahead for three months on my car payment. I dont know if that is an option for you based on available funds, but I didnt want to have to deal with trying to get a loan deferred. I've had a few friends try to do that while at OCS with no success.

OohRahUSMCF18

Hey KingAir06, you said that you are planning on applying for Marine PLC combined this summer? I am too; I just turned in my application and it will go before the last board on April 24. However, my OSO said that this summer's PLC is almost filled up and that I have only a slim chance of getting accepted. I will just wait and see I guess. Good luck, hope you get in.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
OohRahUSMCF18 said:
Hey KingAir06, you said that you are planning on applying for Marine PLC combined this summer? I am too; I just turned in my application and it will go before the last board on April 24. However, my OSO said that this summer's PLC is almost filled up and that I have only a slim chance of getting accepted. I will just wait and see I guess. Good luck, hope you get in.

let me guess you are an air contract?

OohRahUSMCF18

No, I am signing up as ground. I hope to get the soft contact lens waver. If I get that then I will switch to air; however, I will not be able to even apply for the SLC waver until early next year.