• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Permanently arming 60's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
I read in the Proceedings (Dec'03) that there is talk of permanently arming 60's (with FLIR, 50-cal and Hellfire launchers) in response to the small boat threat. Is this scuttlebutt or is it plausible?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I know the newest block of the Bravos already has FLIR, some of the HS birds have the .50's and the hellfire is rumored to be on the way, replacing the Penguin from what I understand.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
The article that I read had an ADM calling for all 60's to go to a new platform for the Navy one that resembles the Army's H-60's, but ship friendly of course. It was a very persuasive argument.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
the S is a vairant of the UH-60 blackhawk, not sure if the R will be seahawk looking or blackhawk in appearance

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
the S is a vairant of the UH-60 blackhawk, not sure if the R will be seahawk looking or blackhawk in appearance

Judging by Sikorsky pics, it looks more like the Seahawk, i.e. the ship tailwheel as opposed to the Blackhawk tailwheel.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
bch said:

I'm not talking about the a$$end. I'm talking about forward mounted 50cal.'s on every platform. A bit more bite for force protection, a mean Helo that can do damage instead of just watching (LAMPS,ASW,etc.).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
El Cid said:
I'm not talking about the a$$end. I'm talking about forward mounted 50cal.'s on every platform. A bit more bite for force protection, a mean Helo that can do damage instead of just watching (LAMPS,ASW,etc.).

Yeah, I"ve heard that they want to add forward firing machine guns and rockets, etc. An attack SH-60, now THAT I have to see. Talk about cool!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand the hellfire for small boats and a couple of .50 cals but anyhting beyond that might nor be necessary, we already work with sh-60s (called T-bone tactics) their radar find the contact, then the Cobras kill it. works well in th gulf

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
I understand the hellfire for small boats and a couple of .50 cals but anyhting beyond that might nor be necessary, we already work with sh-60s (called T-bone tactics) their radar find the contact, then the Cobras kill it. works well in th gulf

What are your thoughts on rockets?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
right now the hold up is waiting for the "wings" to mount the forward stuff on. They will not be perminant, just attached when the mission calls for it.

The current Seahawk wings don't support forward mounted guns.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The article in Proceedings was right on I thought. The problem is that Naval AViation leadership historically has not pursued or supported forward firing weapons that involved suck low tech solutions as guns/rockets or missles. It's a cultural thing too. I don't know if the Navy helicopter community is adverse to going into real combat or what. But when was the last time a Navy helicopter crew was decorated for valor or performance in combat the lead to the death or destruction of enemy forces?

To me - it seems that the Navy is still unable to get around the whole Iranian Hostage rescue/Desert One thing.

Things are getting better - but it will take more than just airframe mods. The pilot training syllabus and normal integration og NVG's into the cockpit needs to be there. Navy helicopters need to be involved in operations that allow them to destroy the enemy - and be able to get the toys and training to do that - that competition will drive budgets and training.

So for now I think most force commanders see Navy helicopters as nice IFR passenger transport or ASW assets. Time for the Navy to look at how the Air Force operates it's helicopters and not the Marine Corps.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
ChuckMK23 said:
Things are getting better - but it will take more than just airframe mods. The pilot training syllabus and normal integration og NVG's into the cockpit needs to be there. Navy helicopters need to be involved in operations that allow them to destroy the enemy - and be able to get the toys and training to do that - that competition will drive budgets and training.

So for now I think most force commanders see Navy helicopters as nice IFR passenger transport or ASW assets. Time for the Navy to look at how the Air Force operates it's helicopters and not the Marine Corps.

Not sure where you get your info, but Navy Helo crews have been flying on goggles routinely for a while now. Also where did you hear about commanders feeling it was a good IFR bus? A-Surface, vert-rep, ASW, CSAR, maritime interdiction...etc are just a few of the things they are employed in.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Fly Navy said:
Yeah, I"ve heard that they want to add forward firing machine guns and rockets, etc. An attack SH-60, now THAT I have to see. Talk about cool!

What you are looking for is the DAP (Defensive Armament Package) for the H-60: I believe you can arm it a couple 30mm chain guns, rockets, Hellfires etc - its a very impressive package that the army uses.

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
You may be talking about the Block 3 Sierra.....thats our Armed Helo package with FLIR and hellfire...and the wing mounts are supposed to be able to support a forward firing machine gun....but since the Block 3 aint supposed to be out till '07, its just too early to tell what exactly the block 3 will have incorporated.....its scary though giving HC guys guns and rockets :) But then we wont be HC anymore....HCS :(

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
IFR? I'm a helo pilot...I don't need no steenking IFR! You can always go under the clouds until they touch the ground, at which point it's an obscuration, and I'll just slow down to allow for see-and-avoid!

Status
Not open for further replies.