• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PFT at OCS

jdakota

Im in second incriment juniors
Two questions: First, I heard down at OCS you loose 30 to 45 seconds on the 3 mile and 2 to 3 pull ups. Is there any truth to this?

Next, I just want to see where I'll be compared to all the other candidates.
16 pull ups, best and most recent is 19:45 run, and of course 100 sit ups. I know Im pretty much average in pull ups but my OSO told me a 20 minute run would be in the middle of the pack but when I PT with the other candidates from my same town Im ahead of pretty much all of them. I know there are gonna be some track stars down there but for you guys that have already been through this, what kind of shape am I in.
Thanks

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Obviously, don't expect to be an all-star, but you'll be just fine. There are a lot of sith-bags (take that, swear filters!) who show up to juniors, and they'll make you look even better. Don't count too much on your run improving while you're there. I actually got :30 slower, lost 5 pullups and 10 crunches. Seniors is better for PT.

jdakota

thanks guys, I guess the only reason why I want to gauge my run is because I think that will give me a good idea of how good of shape I'm in compaired to everyone else.

super hornet

I took my pre ship PFT today and my OSO said if you get over a 250, you should be good to go. For the guys that get below a 250, the DIs like to ride their a$$es. See you all July 9th and good luck.

vvmountainvv

i think for a lot of people pull ups are the hardest thing to work on. i would say really bust on those, add weights while you do them, and try to get a few more. one more of those things is worth almost an entire minute on the run. max max relax is the mantra of many PFTers.

TheFurr7198

Hueycobra is right, if you can go to the run with a 200 the run is cake. Just finish below 24 minutes which you can almost walk that. Just keep up the pt guys and remember after juniors you'll really know what you need to do to get a good PFT score. I went from a 255(235 when i got there) leaving juniors to a 292 now on my preship.

jdakota

Yes you guys are right about the importance of pull ups on the pft. But Im not really worried about the pft, I know I can get pass that. I think Ill be at around 265 or so. Its the running that Im worried about. Keeping up with the platoon without a problem, that sort of thing. I heard pull ups are the key to the pft, being able to run is the key to OCS.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
sector said:
Speaking of runs at OCS, what happens if you run slower than 24:00? Do they send you home?

At Jrs. usually. At Srs., combined, Bulldog, or OCC, almost guaranteed.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
vvmountainvv said:
i think for a lot of people pull ups are the hardest thing to work on. i would say really bust on those, add weights while you do them, and try to get a few more. one more of those things is worth almost an entire minute on the run. max max relax is the mantra of many PFTers.
That's what I did and got a 264 last time I did my PFT. If you can max the first 2 things no problem the run doesn't hold as much pressure to do your ultimate best. You never know what might happen in those 20 minutes as opposed to just 5 minutes for the other stuff.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
sector said:
Speaking of runs at OCS, what happens if you run slower than 24:00? Do they send you home?

They won't neccesarily send you home. You WILL stand tall in front of the Colonel. If you're a soup sandwich about it you'll be sent home. If you display superior miltary bearing and a strong desire to stay and train the Colonel often times will put you on probation and send you back to your company.

I will say this: both summers I was at OCS the large majority of those who failed the initial PFT didn't complete training.

The best thing to do is put out and not fail the run. Skylined and on probation is obviously not a good way to step off at OCS.