• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Physics Requirment

Hello all. I had a question about the physics requirement for IW and Nuke. I understand that the application process is very different for these two communities so information on either will be appreciated. I'm currently the captain of a commercial fishing vessel in Alaska (hence the name) so I'm very interested in SWO. In particular I would really like to put in applications for SWO-IW or SWO nuke. I have a BA in political science and a BS in Economics from Gonzaga University so I have a good deal of math courses under my belt but I have not taken any physics. It is my understanding that two semesters of college physics is required for both of these programs. I was wondering if anyone has experience with getting these requirements waved. I have an overall GPA of 3.65 and scored a 71/8/8/8 on the ASTB. I also have a good deal of experience with R as well as some exposure to Python so I believe that I will be capable of excelling in either of these programs but am currently up against the physics requirement. Any input is greatly appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

no physics = no nuke

You can apply for SWO-IW, they have just a few billets each year so it would be a shot in the dark, you would have a good shot at SWO

You would also have an excellent shot at SNA given your scores

Thank you for the replies. I've considered both the SNA and NFO routes by my eyes are borderline for SNA and while I think it would be an amazing opportunity to fly, I seem to lack the burning desire that several people on this site have indicated is a necessity to make it through flight school. I am now a bit confused about IW though as my OR told me that 2 semesters of physics is indeed a requirement for IW. I would go back to knock out the physics but I just finished 5 years of school so I'm not incredibly eager to spend another year taking classes. Unless anyone is aware of accelerated physics programs that could be completed in a shorter amount of time? My google searches haven't been able to turn up much.

exNavyOffRec

He is probably trying to discourage you due to the minimal number of billets each year, if you want to drive ships go SWO

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
This document from October 2014 about the IDC options program states that 2 semesters of calculus and calculus-based physics are preferred but not required for SWO-IW:

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...000/1200Classification/Documents/1212-050.pdf

Note that SWO-IW isn't SWO with an IW focus, it just means you are a SWO like any other for a period of time with an automatic option to switch to IW later. If SWO is your bag, put that down as your first choice and you should be a shoe-in with your stats and experience.

The quota for those SWO-option programs seem to be fewer than 10 per year. If IW is what you really want, I would suggest you apply for that directly, but also know that selection rates for all IDC designators are generally between about 5 and 15%; much lower than SWO.