• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot deployments

thatgnarlyguy

What is the system as far as deployments go right now? I am considering a few different routes to becoming a pilot but I also have a family. What does the schedule look like for a Marine F/A-18 pilot being on deployment? Recruiter told me about 7 months on a Airbase in Iraq and 7 back at home base.... My dad told me to get the gouge from a pilot though and never listen to a recruiter. (He was a E-6A pilot)
Also there is a 50/50 chance of being forced into helos, what are their deployments looking like? I know there are many different types of helos, maybe just narrow it down to Marine CAS helos.
Thanks
-Daniel

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
thatgnarlyguy said:
Also there is a 50/50 chance of being forced into helos, what are their deployments looking like? I know there are many different types of helos, maybe just narrow it down to Marine CAS helos.
Thanks
-Daniel

You're setting yourself up for failure with that kind of attitude. No one is going to "FORCE" you into anything.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
50/50 chance of getting helos seems a bit low to me. Zero percent chance of becoming a pilot though if you're not willing to take the leap and risk that chance. People go into the aviation pipeline ALL THE TIME thinking they want jets and find out that helos sound like a hell of a lot of fun by the end of Primary. As I'm finding myself often having to say on these boards......

No risk, no reward!

phrogpilot73

First, you're going to deploy. You can't get away from that, your perstempo is going to be based on platform, timing, and needs of the Marine Corps (as always)

Second, if you're in flight school you had better stop thinking along the lines of being "forced" into helos. You're going to piss off your peers when you check into HTs, and they're already flying and love it (and some of them actually wanted helos, and you're acting like it's the consolation prize. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee - Roughly 60% of Marine pilots are helo drivers. And, they're better pilots if you ask me ;)

Third, in regards to platforms and deploying it all depends. If you fly a high demand platform (EA-6Bs, AH/UH, CH-53) your'e going to deploy A LOT. Notice that they're not limited to fixed wing/rotary wing. $hitters are doing MEUs, OIF, and HOA. AH/UH are tapped out supporting OIF, and of course the VMAQ guys are needed for all kinds of super secret stuff (it's a MAGTF asset, but also a National asset). East coast Phrog guys used to be not too bad, but as they stand down sqaudrons in order to stand up the V-22, there are less and less Phrogs to do the mission. I don't care what you say, do you really think they're going to 1 for 1 replace the Phrogs? They won't let $hitters into certain zones in OIF, but they'll send Phrogs alone and unafraid at night. Are they going to send Ospreys? Doubt it.

Best advice I can give is do your best, pick your platform based on the personalities of instructors you encounter, and realize that there are certain things you can't control. You should convince yourself that all you want to do is fly, it doesn't matter if it's a washing machine with wings. Do this, and you'll be happy. I would personally fly anything they told me to (fixed wing, rotary wing, tilt rotor, Cessna, etc...), as long as I was flying. That's the only thing I'm not looking forward to with this upcoming FAC tour, they've taken flying away from me...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
I would personally fly anything they told me to (fixed wing, rotary wing, tilt rotor, Cessna, etc...), as long as I was flying.

And as long as it said Marines on the side :icon_wink

thatgnarlyguy

I am the son of a fixed wing pilot.. I have flown with my father all my life and am working on my private pilot liscense. I also am in the Air Guard and work around F-15's everyday. I have a great desire to fly a fixed wing aircraft.
But I am not trying to say I would hate or do hate helos. I just have a prejudice built in me from my dad and every pilot I have ever talked to.
I also understand that the deployments can be rough and thats fine. I was just trying to get some gouge on what the tours look like. In the guard we have it easy and do 3 month Iraq deployments... What is it like for an aviator? Would you be deployed to a airbase, and how long is typical? I want to fly either C-130's or F/A-18 single or double seaters.. So if anyone knows their deployment schedules that would be helpful.
Thanks

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
thatgnarlyguy said:
But I am not trying to say I would hate or do hate helos. I just have a prejudice built in me from my dad and every pilot I have ever talked to.
Guess it's time to start thinking for yourself. You're a big boy now, you can handle it.

thatgnarlyguy said:
I want to fly either C-130's or F/A-18 single or double seaters.. So if anyone knows their deployment schedules that would be helpful. Thanks
I don't think you quite understand. First, deployment schedules change all the time based on what is needed at the time. Second, having the goal to fly any of those platforms you mention is great. However, you keep asking about deployment schedules as if you're using that info to base your decision on. My recommendation is to first get in the game, then worry about if it will go into overtime.

B

Blutonski816

Like steve said, it's good to have goals, but don't look too far ahead...

Like a Cobra guy told me when I met him:
"Your priorities right now, in this order are: getting commissioned, TBS, API, and Primary, Intermediate, Advanced, the RAG and then the Fleet."

Don't worry, I used to be a platform junkie too... Wanted to be a Tomcat guy, but I guess that's not gonna happen, hehe.

helo_wifey

My SO is a helo pilot and he volunteered to go to Japan for his first sea tour. While he's there he will not go to Iraq and when he does go out it will be within the Pacific. Its a nice set-up for us beacuse of all the allowances and whatnot.

Honestly, if you have to ask about deployments...maybe you should reconsider. Its just a part of the military life, and if you or your family can't handle that then I would choose a different route. I'm sure a lot of pilots on here have families, and I'm sure its probably hard on them too. You won't be the only one gone, its just part of the job.

Sorry for being so harsh.

phrogpilot73

helo_wifey said:
I'm sure a lot of pilots on here have families, and I'm sure its probably hard on them too.
I'd like to take this opportunity to get on my soapbox and mention that YES single guys have families that love them, and that the deployment is hard on them as well. I was in the squadron today (before checking out on 30 days leave!), and heard someone say that for the people we were going to send to Pensacola (a sister squadron is going instead of us), that they should be single. Also, right before I left Iraq on advanced party, a married guy in the squadron (and I'm not making this up) said "Why are you going advanced party, you've got nothing to come home to?" Personally, I think that is BS. Sorry, I'm off my soapbox now.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
I'd like to take this opportunity to get on my soapbox and mention that YES single guys have families that love them, and that the deployment is hard on them as well. I was in the squadron today (before checking out on 30 days leave!), and heard someone say that for the people we were going to send to Pensacola (a sister squadron is going instead of us), that they should be single. Also, right before I left Iraq on advanced party, a married guy in the squadron (and I'm not making this up) said "Why are you going advanced party, you've got nothing to come home to?" Personally, I think that is BS. Sorry, I'm off my soapbox now.

Please don't refrain getting on the soapbox phrog man. Us newbies can learn a lot for you rants. :D

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
phrogpilot73 said:

:D Agree 100%. It used to drive me crazy when the billet holders at TBS would complain that they had to rush to get the "married" guys home because they have families. Hell I have a wife and I am here to do a job and my wife understands, if that means staying late or as phrog said going on an extended deployment then fine but I hate how everyone acts like they have to treat us differently. I guess single guys don't ever want to just get away and relax? Anyway, well said phrog.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
phrogpilot73 said:

Let's not forget the logistical pain in the ass of storing your car, cancelling your cable/internet, leaving post dated rent checks and paying your bills using super-slowass internet on the boat...the list goes on, but I don't feel like typing anymore. :)