• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

PilotCPB

How often does the USN do pilot exchanges with other countries? We had an RAAF pilot pass through our FBO the other day on an exchange tour with the USMC; he was in Hornets with the VMFA-122 Crusaders. He was a heck of a cool guy. Anyways, I would love to do this if/when I fly with the USN. Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't know about the Navy, but the Marines have helo exchanges with the Royal Navy and Marines. Harrier pilots also have the chance to fly with either Spain or the RAF. There are also helo exchanges with the Army's Task Force 160 and USAF SpecOps. There are a couple more for C130 and F18s, but I don't remember where they could go. These slots are all very competitive, though.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Can only speak for P3s, we have a pretty widespread PEP (Pilot Exchange Program). One of the other members on here, zab, is about to go on a tour.

Fred

I've known Hornet pilots who did exchange tours in Australia, England, Spain, France, and Canada. Not sure what the thinking is now, but used to be not much of a career enhancing tour.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do NFO's have similar exchange opportunities?

Yes. Prowler NFO's have two slots, one flying strike Tornado's with the RAF and one with the Luftwaffe flying SEAD Tornado's. I know one guy who went to the RAF and another about to leave for the Luftwaffe spot. Both were good guys but it has to do almost all with timing. We have 2 or 3 Germans and an RAF type in the Prowler RAG. Our guys are in operational squadrons.

I don't know how many slots are available in other communities but the first Navy guy to be killed in OIF was an E-2 NFO who was on exchange with the Royal Navy flying Sea Kings and was killed when 2 of them collided. The Brits have a pilot and an Observer (NFO/Nav) in the cockpit of a lot of their helicopters, which is how he was in the cockpit.

It is usually a good deal, a 3 year vacation of flying and drinking (the Brits and the Germans take their drinking much more seriously than us puritanical Yanks, just try and drink them under the table, you will suffer) with little actual work.

cricechex

Flash said:
Do NFO's have similar exchange opportunities?

It is usually a good deal, a 3 year vacation of flying and drinking (the Brits and the Germans take their drinking much more seriously than us puritanical Yanks, just try and drink them under the table, you will suffer) with little actual work.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if they get into trouble, then they can't drink till after noon. But on normal days drinks are always available. :icon_zbee

Why doesn't the U.S. follow suit? Moral would be sure to go up.

PilotCPB

Hey thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I've met exchange pilots from all over, Australia, UK, Spain, Germany, etc. They all seemed great to me, all enjoyed their exchange duties. I'd love to do something similar one day, but I gotta get those wings first!
Thanks,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.