• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pilot height???

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-wing

I heard from an old man that used to be in the Navy that to become a pilot yo uhave to have a height between 5'8 and 6'1 .....is this true??? cause i'm afraid i'll be to tall by the time i get the chance to become one.
brokenheart_125.gif

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm 6'2" and I'm good for almost all the planes. THere is a taller guy than me in my class 6'3" or 6'4" and he is limited to P-3's. However, he knew that before coming into the Navy.

Dave

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
I heard somewhere that if you demonstrated the ability to fit in the cockpit and manipulate all the controls, buttons, etc, even if you're over the limit they'll let you fly it. True?

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
What do you mean by "demonstrate the ability to fit in the cockpit". It goes by your anthro measurements. If you are close, then they will put you into an aircraft and do a fit test. This is to see if you can function everything. However, if you don't measure out within the set anthro measurements you would be NPQ'd. Anthros are different between SNA and SNFO. So you could be NPQ'd for SNA but still PQ'd for SNFO.

Dave

beau

NPQ'd?! What about waivors? I heard, through this site, several times that all you have to do if you fail an anthros or fit test is sign a waiver saying that your all right if you break (insert body part here) both legs in an ejection! That you knew the risks, yada yada etc....Have I heard wrong? Bad Scutlebutt?

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

x-wing

5'6 to 6'5 ......phewww thanks guys

I got a cat the other day.....had to swerve to get it buti got it

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
There are anthros for each aircraft in the Navy's inventory. There are also general anthro measurements for your NAMI flight physical. The anthro measurements that you get at NAMI or MEPS or your recruiter are the first set of measurements just to see if you are acceptable for Naval Aviation. To tall, short, butt to knee, arm reach etc. I'm sure most of you sat in a chair or were put on the computer at NAMI to make sure you were in the ball park. If one of these measurements is way off then you would be NPQ'd. However, there are exceptions. The waivers you are talking about are once your in the program and have passed the initial set of anthros. Some guys in my squadron in primary could fit in say the F-18 or F-14 anthro wise. However, they dont fit size wise in the T-45. Thus since they cant fit in the training aircraft its hard to move thru the pipeline. I know this sounds crappy but.... There are some waivers for this type of problem, but only to a certain extent. If you physically dont fit into an aircraft then you just dont fit. I know it would make sense that if you could fit into a tacair aircraft then you should be good to go in the trainers. To bad the T-45 is so dang small. This said, dont get all freaked out. If you pass the initial anthro measurements then you are more than likely good to go. I'll see if I cant get the new anthros for all the naval aircraft and post them here. Then you can look at your individual antros and compare them against the chart. I'll make some calls tomrw and see. Till then just relax. There isnt much you can do about what God gave you.

Dave

x-wing

yea those charts would be great good luck finding them

I got a cat the other day.....had to swerve to get it buti got it

LadyJayUSN

ummm....I'm 5'4" and I'm good to go across the board...
can we give it up for us short folks!

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

Status
Not open for further replies.