• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilots and NFO on Recruiting Duty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre170

None
I understand this thread may develop as the discussion continues... however, I would like to know:

Do pilots and NFOs get to go on recruiting duty?

After their first sea tour and they go to a shore duty, where do they typically go? What kind of units are they assigned to?

Is this shore duty a flying billet (I would think so since they still have obligated service time)?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
In the Marines, all officers are eligible for recruiting duty. However, the only billet that gives a lot of face time with applicants is Officer Selection Officer, recruiting officer candidates. This is generally a job for captains coming off their 1st fleet tour.

As far as other billets, captains are often operations officers for recruiting districts, while majors are recruiting district COs. A district will comprise of many recruiting offices. These jobs are tough, but don't have you physically soliciting recruits. You coordinate and lead enlisted recruiters in their task.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My apologies to those Navy guys who may have been or are recruiters but from what I have seen it is not a choice assignment. What do I mean by that? Well, the 2 JO's from my old squadron who went to recruiting duty for their shore tours were among the bottom 2 from the squadron. From my understanding, it is usually a good thing for the enlisted, especially if you do well, but not on the officer side. With all that being said, one of the DH's in my squadron was one but he did it specifically so he would have time to get an MBA. He ended up getting kept in after that tour and he was a pretty good guy. A disclaimer, I am talking about recruiter duty, not being an ROTC instructor, which is sought after and not that bad for your career.

And yes, all officers can be recruiters.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Sabre170 said:
Is this shore duty a flying billet (I would think so since they still have obligated service time)?

Usually not a flying billet unless there is a T-34 available. I remember that NRD Albany used to have a T-34B.

Shore duty (unless a RAG or VT instructor) is usually DIFDEN (Duty in flight status not involving flying, still get flight pay and counter clicks) vice DIFOPS (duty in flight status involving operational flying). To get flight pay in a DIFDEN staus, you need to make certain gates (i.e. so much flying months within so many years, usually not a problem for the fist shore tour).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All the T-34s are gone. No flying in recruiting. Times change as do individual desires. My recruiter went on to command the F-18 RAG and was a CAG. One of the department heads in my first squadron had been a recruiter, later commanded a squadron and then was a NRD CO. That was the height of the cold war. Reagan was building a 600 ship Navy. One of the reasons I currently drill with a NRD is because they have had no aviation officers assigned as officer recruiters for nearly 5 years. The current Enlisted Programs Officer, the department head responsible for all enlisted recruiting, is a LT pilot, and the only other aviator in the NRD. To be a department head and have a super critical mission like enlisted production as a LT is a great opportunity. There is no BSing. You live and die by the numbers your guys produce. There are very few aviation officers in recruiting because there is little need. You guys know how few people are coming into the Navy through OCS. The Navy doesn't need a guy with wings to talk people into applying. You people just keep walking in and call up wanting to be officers. No special fleet knowledge needed to test applicants and hand out applications. Recruiting is a highly critical mission for the Navy, but as it stands, now officer recruiting isn't so difficult and they make goals easily. No need for a hard charging break out fleet officers in recruting duty now. In my day recruiting was a nuetral assignment. It was what you made of it. I actually sought out recruiting in my home town for personal reasons. I did well, was treated alright and it never hurt my career. Fine officers may still get recruiting duty, but they have all volunteered for one reason or another. If it was because it was the only job he was offered, he isn't a real fleet player. If it is because his wife got accpeted to a local grad school and he is actively seeking the job, he may be more of an officer then is needed in recruiting now.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
On the Marine side, there is a "flying OSO" job. It's pretty-highly sought after, getting to fly prospective air contracts around. Most pilots aren't too hot to pickup the other billets.

Recruiting district CO is one of the few CO jobs for majors. It isn't a fun job, but the Corps usually promises your choice of schools of the backside, so it's not a bad deal overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.