• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Platform selection from Jet Advanced???

acflyguy18

Just trying to get a clear picture of how the final selection process works for Jets prior to going to the FRS. Also, curious if anyone knows about the ratio of slots for Prowler/Growler from advanced. And finally, where will Growler's be located, from what I understand now they are standing a squadron up in Whidbey, could be wrong though. Trying to get a better understanding of this particular track before I put my final selections down here in Primary.

Thanks
Dave

MasterBates

You will select out of advanced much like the end of primary. Except that you will ask for Platform/Coast instead of pipeline.

Helos will do the same, P3s pick VP or VQ.

E2C2 picks E2 or C2 at the beginning of the RAG, and East/West/Japan near the end.

As always, needs of the service, and anthros dictate what you get.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Are you Navy or Marine?

Right now Marines request (on the aptly named "dream sheet") the platform and coast they desire. From there they are assigned a FRS assignment. Sometimes an East coast hornet guy will go to SD for the FRS. Just the way it works. Obviously our other two platforms have but one FRS location.

The Navy folks request their platform and FRS location. It is generally believed (I don't know how much truth is behind this, so someone please sh!t all ove this if it is incorrect) that you are more likely to get stationed on the same coast you did the FRS at.

But out of advanced, Navy selects FRS slot, and Marines are assigned Final PLatform/Location slot.

That help?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
It is generally believed (I don't know how much truth is behind this, so someone please sh!t all ove this if it is incorrect) that you are more likely to get stationed on the same coast you did the FRS at.

That assumes that your selected community has more than 1 FRS.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Yes. In case you were currious, for helo's, you pick final station. The bravo guys do strange shit like send studs to the other coast for the rag sometimes and in the case of HS, we only have the one rag in San Diego. The HSC dudes usually go to their coast for the rag (San Diego for Guam) and I don't know shit about the HSM dudes.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would also bank on no Growler slots out of flight school until at least FY09, because that's when the first squadron converts. No new squadrons are being stood up.

acflyguy18

Thanks to all, I forgot to say that I am Navy so that might have helped. Also a prior enlisted crewman having a real difficult time making a choice on what to put first. Although I have first hand experience with needs of the Navy, got sent ASWMOD on the Truman out of "A" school 7 years ago.

Are they still accepting anyone for prowlers at this time?

Thanks

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks to all, I forgot to say that I am Navy so that might have helped. Also a prior enlisted crewman having a real difficult time making a choice on what to put first. Although I have first hand experience with needs of the Navy, got sent ASWMOD on the Truman out of "A" school 7 years ago.

Are they still accepting anyone for prowlers at this time?

Thanks
Yup. Growler transition will last until 2012 or so, so there will be Prowler squadrons up until then. And we'll see if the AF gets its stuff together in the interim before the expeditionary mission goes away . . . or if not whether or not they transition the concrete squadrons too.

acflyguy18

Is the FRS for Prowler's in Whidbey, and is selecting Prowler's from a numbers standpoint more or less difficult to get than the other platforms?

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Its a luck thing. There aren't slots every month, bu there are slots. If you really want them and tell people you really want sometimes they seem to be helpful in making that happen. But it doesn't always work that way.

Rough estimate for Navy types, about 1 slot per wing (i.e. kingsville or Meridian) every 2 months....give or take.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its a luck thing. There aren't slots every month, bu there are slots. If you really want them and tell people you really want sometimes they seem to be helpful in making that happen. But it doesn't always work that way.

Rough estimate for Navy types, about 1 slot per wing (i.e. kingsville or Meridian) every 2 months....give or take.
Unless you wing when I did . . . then 7 or 8 in two months. All Navy active-duty Prowlers are in Whidbey. Marines are in Cherry Point, and VAQ-209 is the reserve squadron at Andrews AFB.