• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Please comment on my motivational statement.

DJCarrQuincy

DJCarrQuincy
I am applying to Navy OCS. I wanted to try not to include too much fluff about why I want to be in the Navy, because I figure they hear it all the time. I thought it is more important to explain why the Navy should consider me over other candidates. Is this a good approach? Here it is:

I believe that to be a Commissioned Officer in the United States Navy one must be a leader, a teacher and a student. I have 10 years of work experience as a civilian and during my career I’ve worked in several different roles in the construction field. Early on, I spent my time in the trenches as a laborer. However, as time has progressed, I have become responsible for supervising construction projects and I’ve done a bit of everything else in between. I have learned from many great people along the way and each day I try to share that knowledge with the new people I encounter.

I always take on the toughest jobs with my sleeves rolled up because I know you have to be willing to get your hands dirty to ensure a job gets done properly. Also, you can’t have high expectations for the people around you if you yourself aren’t willing to put in the extra effort to succeed.

My entire career, I have kept my head down, worked as hard as I could and I’ve been successful, but recently I find myself not feeling fulfilled with the work I am doing anymore. I recognize now, it’s because I want to be a part of something much bigger and more important. The Navy has driven so many individuals before me to be their absolute best. I believe that serving in the Navy will allow me to reach my full potential and that I can help bring out the best in others. I will gladly accept any job the Navy puts before me and I’ll approach that job with unwavering dedication

I have never felt stronger mentally or physically than I do today. Becoming a Naval Officer is something I not only want to do; it is something I need to do to satisfy a sense of duty and responsibility to my country and my family. This sense of duty has always been there and I now have a level of maturity that sets me apart from other candidates. Nothing would make me more proud than to be a part of the rich tradition and history of the United States Navy and serve my country as a Commissioned Officer.

m26

Contributor
Yes, please post this in the correct place, so I can yell at you for contraction use, run-on sentences, use of the second person, and all-around abuse of punctuation marks over there.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Is this a good approach?

Have to wonder how I ever wrote (or heck if I wrote) a "motivational statement" 24 years ago and how I succeeded without the internet. Insert rolling eyes emoticon and a fatal dose of sarcasm.