• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Please Don’t Do This

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I SWO’d after getting the NAMI Whammy….it was fun. Better than counting boxes and filling out requisitions (and I did I that too). This will be interesting.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I SWO’d after getting the NAMI Whammy….it was fun. Better than counting boxes and filling out requisitions (and I did I that too). This will be interesting.
Wait, you are kidding, right? After all you have done, you took a spin through SWOland too?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Wait, you are kidding, right? After all you have done, you took a spin through SWOland too?
Well…to be honest…it was somewhere to put me as I whittled away my service obligation. I did most of the qual books, stood the watches, crossed the Pacific on an FF and then spent a few months on the old AE-29 (Mount Hood) before they put me in an admin job in DC until I ran out the clock. Never finished my EOOW qual so I wasn’t a “real” SWO with a pin and everything…but SWO enough to get the feel! In fact, if I think about it, I never fully qualified at anything in my five years in the Navy.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Well…to be honest…it was somewhere to put me as I whittled away my service obligation. I did most of the qual books, stood the watches, crossed the Pacific on an FF and then spent a few months on the old AE-29 (Mount Hood) before they put me in an admin job in DC until I ran out the clock. Never finished my EOOW qual so I wasn’t a “real” SWO with a pin and everything…but SWO enough to get the feel! In fact, if I think about it, I never fully qualified at anything in my five years in the Navy.

Fascinating. Attempting to square that with the wings on your profile is overtaxing my brain.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Fascinating. Attempting to square that with the wings on your profile is overtaxing my brain.
I was hit by a car in my final days at the HT. Suffered a few busted discs and a damaged sciatica and NAMI kicked me out of the cockpit. Got my NA diploma but never flew (as a pilot) in a gray helicopter or even saw as much as a day at an FRS.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was hit by a car in my final days at the HT. Suffered a few busted discs and a damaged sciatica and NAMI kicked me out of the cockpit.
But the Army thought you were good for humping 60+ pound rucks for hours on patrol in a combat zone. Guess I under estimated the physicality required to sit in a Navy cockpit. I must be a stud ;) .

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
But the Army thought you were good for humping 60+ pound rucks for hours on patrol in a combat zone. Guess I under estimated the physicality required to sit in a Navy cockpit. I must be a stud ;) .
Well…let’s just say I never really brought it up and the enlistment physical isn’t that demanding! I will say that I certainly felt every year of my age as the “long war” kept going.

CAMike

None
Contributor
OP is being too vague. It's always been acceptable to be a Slow White Officer. The Mom and Dad(CO and XO) influence in SWOlen life plays a huge part.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Dont worry.
There's more than enough self-SWO bashing from the LTs at OCS to make anyone reconsider before they even leave Newport.
Seriously? Hate to break it to those instructors, but the U.S. Navy without SWO’s is just a second rate Air Force with a loose relationship to some splendid infantry. Ya gotta have the SWO to make the navy go.