• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Positive Employment for Application

jride200

Hello Everyone,

To help me make my goal of becoming a SNA, I have an interesting question for everyone out there . And no, I am not going to ask anything about my motivational statement. Last time in doing so, I seem to have started a s**t-storm.

I graduate from college next month with a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology and an Aerospace Technology Certificate. My 1st application to enter OCS as a SNA will make it to the January board, so I should get word late January or early February. I do not, however, have any sort of full-time employment lined up for after graduation. What sorts of employment should I seek for after graduation that would improve my [hopefully unnecessary] reapplications?

Obviously, I could seek out traditional engineering work, however I want to be able to improve my [hopefully unnecessary] reapplications as much as possible, as I know this is desired by the board. Here is what I have been thinking . . . Although I do not have an A&P license, I will look for some sort of work at smaller regional airports, FBO, and flight schools. This, if my reasoning is correct, will get me inside the nuts and bolts of aviation and it will perhaps present an opportunity for me to network and arrange inexpensive flight lessons (BTW, I have no prior flight experience).

What do you guys and gals think?

Jason

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Hello Everyone,

To help me make my goal of becoming a SNA, I have an interesting question for everyone out there . And no, I am not going to ask anything about my motivational statement. Last time in doing so, I seem to have started a s**t-storm.

I graduate from college next month with a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology and an Aerospace Technology Certificate. My 1st application to enter OCS as a SNA will make it to the January board, so I should get word late January or early February. I do not, however, have any sort of full-time employment lined up for after graduation. What sorts of employment should I seek for after graduation that would improve my [hopefully unnecessary] reapplications?

Obviously, I could seek out traditional engineering work, however I want to be able to improve my [hopefully unnecessary] reapplications as much as possible, as I know this is desired by the board. Here is what I have been thinking . . . Although I do not have an A&P license, I will look for some sort of work at smaller regional airports, FBO, and flight schools. This, if my reasoning is correct, will get me inside the nuts and bolts of aviation and it will perhaps present an opportunity for me to network and arrange inexpensive flight lessons (BTW, I have no prior flight experience).

What do you guys and gals think?

Jason

while an engineering job usually requires at least a year of training before they let you even look at a desk, an engineering position would look just as good for "experience" as a menial job dusting and picking up trash in an FBO. Just get a temp job in the meanwhile or if you can pull it, get an engineering position. Hopefully with the money you'll be making you can take some lessons.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Well, jride, to be honest with you, I really don't think it will matter all that much. The jobs I had before picking up my SNA slot were working in a tuxedo shop and waiting tables. The only time I worked anywhere near an airport was when I was 18 (ground handler) and I was not only fired from that job, but placed on the "Not eligible for future employment" blacklist at the airline. So I can't imagine that the Navy looked too closely at that.
You actually remind me a little of me when I was applying. I wanted to major in physics because I thought it would look good but my recruiter told me not to use that as a basis for any decision. So I majored in "International Business", had a great time studying what I liked, and ended up right where I wanted to be anyway.
Same advice on the job. Get a job you'll enjoy and let the cards fall where they may. Maybe one of the more senior guys on here could correct me, but I don't think anyone on the board really looks at where you work as any kind of factor. Just that you are a hard worker and get good recomendations from your employer.