• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Possible? or a dumb idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxerCLC

Is it possible for a Coast Guard OCS grad with a 3 year commitment and no aviation rating to somehow end up transferring once the committment is over to another military branch and begin their pilot training upon entrance??
Like applying for an OCS pilot slot, except the individual is already an officer having completing OCS of a different branch??

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'd have a much better shot of getting a flight slot with the Coast Guard after 3yrs of not flying with them than trying to start your career over with another service as an O-2.

I have never seen what you have described occur. That doesn't mean it can't, but I've never heard of it.

The closest situtation I can recall were a few former Army officers who were helicopter pilots already and then transferred to the USN, going from 1st Lts to LTJGs, but they still had to complete all over flight school, from API on.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have known two officers that transferred over. One former Army O3/CAPT, no aviation, he and I were in the same API class (pilot). Another Marine, that got tired of doing Marine things I guess, and became a Navy P3 NFO.

Concur with Zab though, it is probably easier for you to attempt the slot through the Coast Guard (though, with you being in the community, would know better than us).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
A lot of coasties at flight school were picked up for aviation after doing their "SWO" tours. All of their Coast Guard Academy types had to go to the fleet before doing aviation. Only their OCS grads could go directly into air, which I thought was really odd. They may have changed that by now, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.