• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Potential DQ Concern (SNA)

homeboy1233

Hello,

This is my first post so I apologize if this seems to be the incorrect thread. I want to ask about being a potential DQ given my situation. I'm about to be a senior in college and want to apply for SNA via OCS. I've heard about horror stories about people being DQ'd, especially through NAMI so I tried to think of anything that can be concerning.

I'm concerned about one incident not long ago, around a year ago. During that time, I went through a mental health crisis with admittedly some dark thoughts but never attempted. A friend reported me to a care manager at my school due to that and they contacted me for a meeting. We talked and they referred me to a therapist which the school pays for. I went through a couple of sessions before we agreed to stop. I have been doing well ever since. I wasn't diagnosed with anything nor prescribed medications such as antidepressants. But I'm worried that'll be a DQ, especially through NAMI since I heard they tend to DQ people over random things.

I'm confident that MEPS is lenient towards this given the lack of diagnosis or medications (correct me if I'm wrong), but the one I'm extremely worried about is getting a NAMI Whammy due to this.

Should I be concerned? If it is indeed a DQ, would a waiver be possible?

I appreciate any insights ya'll have!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello,

This is my first post so I apologize if this seems to be the incorrect thread. I want to ask about being a potential DQ given my situation. I'm about to be a senior in college and want to apply for SNA via OCS. I've heard about horror stories about people being DQ'd, especially through NAMI so I tried to think of anything that can be concerning.

I'm concerned about one incident not long ago, around a year ago. During that time, I went through a mental health crisis with admittedly some dark thoughts but never attempted. A friend reported me to a care manager at my school due to that and they contacted me for a meeting. We talked and they referred me to a therapist which the school pays for. I went through a couple of sessions before we agreed to stop. I have been doing well ever since. I wasn't diagnosed with anything nor prescribed medications such as antidepressants. But I'm worried that'll be a DQ, especially through NAMI since I heard they tend to DQ people over random things.

I'm confident that MEPS is lenient towards this given the lack of diagnosis or medications (correct me if I'm wrong), but the one I'm extremely worried about is getting a NAMI Whammy due to this.

Should I be concerned? If it is indeed a DQ, would a waiver be possible?

I appreciate any insights ya'll have!

Welcome to the forums. Kindly suggest you check out the NAMI forum/section we have. In addition, the NAMI guide and MANMED CH-15, both of which can be easily googled, can help you out.

For future reference, suggest doing a search first before asking/posting, especially if it’s something that potentially been asked and answered in detail.

Good luck!

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Just depends on the question being asked. I believe when it comes to medical, you just get asked if you’ve ever been “diagnosed with”. Your answer would be no. On security clearance stuff, there may be a question on if you’ve ever had any mental health treatment (I don’t remember the wording). That answer might be yes. Just answer the given questions honestly, and with no diagnosis I’m pretty sure you won’t have a problem with NAMI. Or with the security clearance.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just depends on the question being asked. I believe when it comes to medical, you just get asked if you’ve ever been “diagnosed with”. Your answer would be no. On security clearance stuff, there may be a question on if you’ve ever had any mental health treatment (I don’t remember the wording). That answer might be yes. Just answer the given questions honestly, and with no diagnosis I’m pretty sure you won’t have a problem with NAMI. Or with the security clearance.

Security clearances really don't care too much, as long as you're medicated and can't be bribed about it you'll be okay.