• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

POW's or PERP's ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
POW's or PERP's ??? Supreme Court Blocks Bush, GITMO War Trials

Supreme Court Blocks Bush, GITMO War Trials

Here's one happy guy. But he needs a lawyer, now ... tax dollars, anyone???

Salim in happier days --- eating cake.
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]
(AP) Salim Ahmed Hamdan is seen in this undated file photo. He's the former driver for Osama bin Laden ....
[/FONT]

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060629/D8IHVHRO0.html

So what do you do now ??? Shoot 'em in the field to keep from burdening the legal system?? What say you --- AirWarriors .... :)

*edit* Now, don't get too rowdy or I'll have to move this to "War Zone" ... it's current news.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I say that we pretend to let them go and load everybody up on the oldest C-5 we have and have the crew bail out in mid-flight. GITMO is near the Bermuda Triangle after all.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
JIMC5499 said:
I say that we pretend to let them go and load everybody up on the oldest C-5 we have and have the crew bail out in mid-flight. GITMO is near the Bermuda Triangle after all.

Yes, cause that wouldn't be expensive at all. Cheers! ;)

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
A4sForever said:
Supreme Court Blocks Bush, GITMO War Trials

Here's one happy guy. But he needs a lawyer, now ... tax dollars, anyone???

Salim in happier days --- eating cake.
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]
(AP) Salim Ahmed Hamdan is seen in this undated file photo. He's the former driver for Osama bin Laden ....
[/FONT]

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060629/D8IHVHRO0.html

So what do you do now ??? Shoot 'em in the field to keep from burdening the legal system?? What say you --- AirWarriors .... :)

*edit* Now, don't get too rowdy or I'll have to move this to "War Zone" ... it's current news.

HE'S GOT YELLOW CAKE!!! PRAY TO GOD HE DOESN'T DROP THAT SH!T!! :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And another thought ... these GITMO miscreants now will have access to "the courts" throuout their incarceration. Since when do the courts, including SCOTUS, have a "handle" on how to fight -- and win -- a war ???? Hmmmmmmmm..... ???

Its a bunch of bullhonkey.

The press is just trying to get people stirred up at any cost, look at the New York Times deal...

H20man

Drill baby drill!
A4sForever said:
And another thought ... these GITMO miscreants now will have access to "the courts" throuout their incarceration. Since when do the courts, including SCOTUS, have a "handle" on how to fight -- and win -- a war ???? Hmmmmmmmm..... ???

That is a good question, they aren't Americans.

Looks like this issue is going to test the checks and balances of the 3 branch system.

Since the plan to create tribunals was shot down, now from the quick news blurb I caught on break, is that the Pres is going to go to congress to get legistlation passed to allow the military tribunals.

Looks like some three way fun between the Judicial, Legislative and Executive Powers.

On a less serious note, does anyone find SCOTUS hilarious sounding, especially when newscasters are saying it.

Hursel110

None
The problem is that we're treating these guys like criminals, instead of what they really are: prisoners of war. Yes, I know, there has been no war declared. That did not stop North Vietnam from taking and holding POW's, did it?

Of course, if you call them POW's, then you have to abide by the Geneva Conventions, which would no doubt rule out some of our "interrogation techniques". But, on the flip side, you could hold them forever, without access to a lawyer or our criminal justice system.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
FLYMARINES said:
Yes, cause that wouldn't be expensive at all. Cheers! ;)

Considering that there are about a half dozen C5-As sitting in Davis-Monthan AFB's boneyard vs the cost of trials, appeals and defence lawyers for around 500 detainees, I would say that it is very cheap at the price.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hursel110 said:
The problem is that we're treating these guys like criminals, instead of what they really are: prisoners of war. Yes, I know, there has been no war declared. That did not stop North Vietnam from taking and holding POW's, did it?....
And another problem with "status":

In previous wars ... perople captured in civvies were frequently shot out of hand in the field. As spies. As partisans. As guerillas. As saboteurs. They were not eligible for consideration as military capturees (is that a word?) ... i.e., not eligible for "POW" status ... :eek::)

Sooooooooooo .... you guys "catch 'em" .... our courts will "release 'em"??? Sounds like they might as well just be classified as "undocumented" ??? ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hursel110 said:
The problem is that we're treating these guys like criminals, instead of what they really are: prisoners of war. Yes, I know, there has been no war declared. That did not stop North Vietnam from taking and holding POW's, did it?

Of course, if you call them POW's, then you have to abide by the Geneva Conventions, which would no doubt rule out some of our "interrogation techniques". But, on the flip side, you could hold them forever, without access to a lawyer or our criminal justice system.

Court Martial them, even human rights groups have said they wouldn't mind that (not that they matter.....). The point is that Court Martial's are established and have the normal rules of law. The military commisions were an ad hoc thing thrown together and adjusted several times (they were ad hoc when they were done in WWII aginst the Nazis who landed on the east coast). The Nuremburg war crimes tribunal generally followed the normal rules of law, and the guys who were convicted there did not follow the Geneva Convention or anything else for that matter.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
You guys are missing the obvious answer:

Ship them all to a remote island, give them each:
Two (2) MRE's
One (1) Swiss Army Survival Knife
and just to spice it up, something random:
Chef's Hat? Scuba Mask? Lava Lamp? I dunno...totally random.

Then we film a reality TV Show:
"Survivor: Al Qaeda"

The revenue generated by the show could then go to help capture more terrorists, which could eventually lead to a spin-off or something...