• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PP License, will it help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuggerat

Im applying for OCS, SNA to be specific, i think my application will be pretty strong, but i want to make it better. If i get a Private Pilots License this summer you guys think that will enhance it significantly or marginally. If anyone has experience with this lemme know cause im willing to shell the cash for a better chance of being selected.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My recommendation is that you contact your recruiter on this. My advice on whether you get your Private Pilot Certificate or not is to do it because you want to. It can be a lot of fun. However, if you're looking at it from the perspective that you don't want to go through the hassle unless it will look good on your app, then don't do it.

zuggerat

no ive taken flight lessons before, i love it, its why i want to fly, i will probably do it anyway. I just wanna know if it will enhance my application

CavemanOgg

I'm not even sure my recruiter asked me if i was rated or not when i submitted my app. I know it helped on the atsb, but that may be all. It will certainly help in pilot training if selected to have as many hours possible.

gnorman911

On the application there is a section for your amount of flight time, and which aircraft it was in. My recruiter wanted copies of my logbook and certifications. He said it would definetly help my application. He told me that the navy was looking for engineers with flight experience for the pilot program. Hope that helps, but I would talk to your recruiter to get some of the current gouge, my info is a year old.

kappu411

Naval Aviator
check it out, if you gte a solo X country done, which is required during a PP liscense, you wil not have to do Navy IFS if you get commisioned and start flight school, so it will save u some time in the long run,,, but then again ifs is fun and it is paid for by the navy, 25 hrs of cool flying for free, but if youve goit like 20 hrs and no x country b4 u get into the navy, they will noit count it for your ifs training for SNA

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having a private license will make your application look better, but I don't think it's enough to justify the costs involved. Don't get me wrong, I have my PPL and love flying as often as I can. However, I started flight training after I had almost completely finished the application process - I already had a pro-rec before I crawled into that tiny Cessna. In my opinion, if you're thinking of getting a PPL just to boost your application then you shouldn't do it. If you think you would enjoy the experience and would consider flying lessons even if you weren't trying for an OCS spot then you should definitely do it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should not let your OCS application be a factor in whether you start flying or not. I think that the benefit your application would get from a PPL doesn't come minutely close to justifying the $3,000 to $5,000 you'll spend.

If you want to fly then by all means start when you can. Apply NOW for OCS and if you get rejected you can reapply with some flight hours under your belt. That's what I would do in your situation.

kappu411

Naval Aviator
yeah , id say the same as the texan... that ppl costs mad loot, i would go get a few hrs so u know u like to fly and be in a plane.. if u go thru ocs and then decide u dont like to fly during ifs, youll be upset.. anyway good luck zug

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I tell you, I working towards my IFR right now, and I have NO spending money, almost everything that I make each month goes towards flying, but I love it!!

zuggerat

what does it mean when my recruiter isnt answering any of my emails, even when i specifically ask him to answer me? i wonder if he's giving me the brush off. last time i called him he freakin forgot who i was... i hadda remind him

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NeoCortex said:
I tell you, I working towards my IFR right now, and I have NO spending money, almost everything that I make each month goes towards flying, but I love it!!

How's that IFR thing going? They say it's the hardest rating to get - agree?

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Ben,
I don't really agree with that. There is alot more studying, but when your actually flying, you just have to pay attention more. I had gone out and bought a flight sim to practice the manuivers first and I thinkit helped alot. It's all procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.