• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PPL for old guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright I am bored out of my mind at Defense Language Institute and the Navy Flying Club is calling my name. However, I have done ZERO civilian flying. Any other Fleet guys taken this route? It's gonna be at least until November before I can tie on a SkyPig again, and not flying is driving me nuts. I figured this may be a good time to get my commercial ratings as well. I have yet to get ahold of the Head IP down there, but I wanted to hear from any former WINGED guys with a FLEET TOUR under their belts as far as any experiences they have had. PM's welcome. Thanks.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's definitely different. Being used to turbines, trying to do all the crap a piston requires made me feel like a fool. "No, really, I'm a professional pilot with 2000 hours..."

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Zab, I'm not done with my first fleet tour yet (4 more weeks to go), can I still chime in?

I take it you did the commercial instrument rating test at the end of advanced and got your single/multi cert? I have flown 152s, 172, and piper warriors off and on since the FRS. Every checkride to sign out a plane has been a joke compared to the various degrees of pain we have been through. I did have a bad experience with the NAS Jax flying club, ran into a bunch of ppl (civilian (enlisted) instructors there) that seemed to have a chip on their shoulder against Navy Pilots, oh well.

I guess what you are really asking is in regard to getting a CFI, etc? I know I would be interested in any answers to that, since I want to work on that when I rotate also.

BTW, it rained in the hanger yesterday, somehow the sprinkler system got activated on your old side of the hanger, couldn't even see the birds that were parked in there, what a mess..... flooding everywhere....

John

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
>Zab, I'm not done with my first fleet tour yet (4 more weeks to go), can I still chime >in?

LOL, you know what I mean, man. You post some stuff in here and next thing you know it's "ROTC blows" or something. Unfortunately, we cant require a Naval Aviator number to log into this forum. Why don't you find some new check-in to rig this to SIPR? I keed, I keed...

Yeah, I heard from a lot of dudes in Jax have issues.

I guess I was asking how it felt to make the move over to the civilian side. Especially from a flying winnebago to a bug smasher. I was also wondering how hours work, as in the solo time. I assume they will not count A/C commander time for anything really.

Hangar's wet AGAIN eh? Hahahahahaha. You know, it took 3 weeks to dry out the damn walls so we could turn on the power again. Looks like the wing is hosting. Things I DON'T miss......

Enjoy the last of Hawaii BTW.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It is probably much more drastic from jets to light civil, but flying either a cessna or warrior, I felt I had all the time in the world puttering around at 90 knots. Definitely just fun to be flying (no 5 hour preflights), but sucks not having the same power available. Always have been curious to try out some twins like a seneca or something, but as phrogdriver said, just not the same as turbines.

I just ended up purchasing a log book, and have been recording my civilian flights in it. I know for airlines they have very specific requirements on what converts over from the military log book, you probably have seen the same excel programs that ppl have made up that I have.

Don't know how much water damage, but on the flip side, good to see that the water sprinklers work!! lol

Yeah, still have time to get my fill of Teddy's Bigger Burgers while I can...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I second what Phrogdriver said. I had a good number of hours on the civilian side before I started flight school, but then didn't fly for about two years while I was going through the pipeline. When I got to the RAG, I started up again, in the same type of airplane I had about 400 hours in, and I couldn't land the damn thing. It's amazing how engrained that Navy way of training gets. It's probably a bit easier for someone who flares regularly while landing (no, that's not meant to be an insult...like it would be for the AF ;) ), but picking up that timing again was the hardest part for me.

I noticed the hangar the other day. The funny part was that it was raining outside, and then it looked like the rain kept going into the hangar.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Hey Webmaster, where do you P-3 guys fly? I live in Kahala and have only seen one flying once and that was out in Kailua when it was landing.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
[threadjack]Approaches at all the major airports, most patternwork at Barbers, Lihue, Barking Sands, and Hilo, when we aren't dominating the pattern and pissing off the helo bubbas here are Kbay, but then again they are helo bubbas and can go use their pads.[/threadjack]

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I believe you'll need an FAA medical certificate if you want to exercise your privaleges as PIC of a non-military aircraft.

The biggest transition is piston engine basics and basic operating procedures. Pick up an AIM - don't worry about how your flight time is or isn't counted - not an issue. You'll need three take offs and landings in category and class in the previous 90 days before you can carry pax.

Consider getting some renters insurance if you plan on flying privately rented aircraft. Oh and join AOPA.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sir, you deserve this. :)

backtothethread.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.