• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRC's Potential Game Changer for 7th Fleet

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
My understanding is that this has heretofore been classified info pertaining to the Chinese Anti Ship Ballistic Missile program. But alas, I pick up the USNI's periodical, Proceedings, and this is on the front page. Scary stuff.
270.jpg

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/story.asp?STORY_ID=1856

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not too much gives me real pause nowadays, this does though. The author does a pretty good job covering all aspects of employment, from some of the technical stuff to the implications of the system being deployed and tested. If it can do what it says in the article, it could be an extremely potent weapon. That is the reason it has so many knowledgeable/important people very concerned.

One thing to note, the details you are going to get on this system are pretty much in the article, and that is pretty much it. Questions on the how/what/where/when most likely cannot and will not be answered. Sorry for killing the fun but other than this article I have seen nothing unclassified about this system. Enough said. :eek:

SkywardET

Contrarian
One thing to note, the details you are going to get on this system are pretty much in the article, and that is pretty much it. Questions on the how/what/where/when most likely cannot and will not be answered. Sorry for killing the fun but other than this article I have seen nothing unclassified about this system. Enough said. :eek:
You didn't kill all the fun. Wanton ignorant speculation is half the fun!

Let's begin:
This would be a terribly risky first-strike weapon, as it could be perceived to be a nuclear attack. Even if it uses submunitions to disable the capabilities of the CSG, once the president receives word that the attack has "only" disabled the ship and killed a thousand sailors it will probably be of little comfort. So many wars have been related to our ships being attacked...

Its non-use, i.e. its existance used as an area denial weapon, depends partially on its viability. That means we will have to see them test it before it becomes a strategic game-changer. If they test it and we don't know about it, then it does not serve as an area denial weapon and that means they intend to use it in the event of escalated tensions over Taiwan. Until either eventuality, this issue in the common world only has a political impact and is fuel for the MDA and associated programs, which have recently been cut.

That said, it's damn scary, but I'm frankly more worried about the Chinese flooding the waters with subs.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Currently in theater and have more info for those that have access. PM me for my SIPR e-mail and I'll link you to the "goods."

SkywardET

Contrarian
Dude, it's not a "first-strike" weapon at all...15-yard penalty for wantonly throwing around terms without having a clue what they mean.
First, it was for fun. Secondly, my statement is not incorrect at all. The term typically refers to nuclear weapons, but its context is not lost in exclusion. I would reword it, but you already know my meaning since you so smart military talk man.