• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pre-OCS PRT......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator

I don't think that your PRT score will be a big factor in whether or not you are selected, but a good score does look better. Your run time is pretty good already, so I wouldn't worry about training for another month. I'd get it out of the way now and just put forth a good effort when you do it. Just my opinion though. Good luck!

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I am currently in the application process as well and my recruiter said that there is a big difference between seeing 10:15 and 9:59 on the application. He said to shoot for "anything in the 3-digit range on the run" or something to that effect because it looks a lot better.

Also, I agree with Matt's advice. We should probably get in the habit of doing everything well.

JasonG

Can anyone recommend a book or basic workout for me. I just started working out again after a year "off" and I noticed a real loss in strength (weight gain doen't help for pushups and pullups) and my running is so bad it would make everyone on this forum cry :) Thanks again for your time guys/gals.

Edited by - JasonG on 04/09/2002 16:14:27

postman8

Go to getfitnow.com and check out their books for good info on working out to improve your PFT (PRT for you navy guys I guess) score. I have both the Marine corps book and the 12 weeks to BUD/S workout book. If you were only going to get one I would reccomend the 12 weeks to BUD/S book. Lots of illustrations of lots of exercises, a 4 week beginner workout and a 12 week advanced one with everything spelt out day by day. They also have a message board on their site with lots of good info. Hope that helps.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Navy conditioning PDF link: http://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs/conpro.pdf

The Navy stuff is good for checking progress, but it looks really boring. If I'm running 3 miles at the track, after every lap I'll stop (no resting) and go right into 25 pushups. Then start running again without any rest. You can vary the push-ups with sit-ups or pull-ups. This gets you a total workout and makes it less boring.

Also, I found that being on some sort of team or league helps motivate you to get back in shape. When I started playing soccer again I had to get my fat ass in shape because I was getting run over.

Variety is also key (I get bored easily). Schedule your workouts ahead of time so you alternate days between running, swimming, lifting weights, etc... That way you won't get as bored with it and it's easier on your joints that just running every single day. I do something like this:

Mon- run/lift
Tues- soccer
Wed- rest
Thurs- swim/lift
Fri- run/lift

JasonG

Thanks for the quick info. Another question:

I don't have access to swimming facilities, will this cause me to be underdeveloped for the required swimming or is there any supplemental workouts to keep me in swim shape?

As for sports I used to play ice hockey when my parents used to pay for things, I'm considering tennis now (cheaper).

williamw

Michael,
You probably already know this but the order for the prt is curlsups, pushups, and finally running. (Atleast thats the order my recruiter had me do them in) So if you gotta heave after the run its no big thing:) Oh yeah, glad to hear you are aware of the catagories - i busted my ass on curlups and it hurt my pushups some, I then ended up in a lower category b/c the way its graded. Still made it though:) Good luck!

Edited by - williamw on 04/09/2002 17:57:15

Status
Not open for further replies.