• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

preferred USMC platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax

Correct me if I'm off-base, but it seems that Navy and AF studs prefer to track to the Goshawk and Talon. I recently heard that the USMC is different in that jets, on average, aren't the primary platform preference for studs in USMC pilot training.

Apparently, helos and 130's are the coveted platforms. Just trying to corroborate any truth to that.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think some of your info might be a bit bogus. Yes there is maybe more diversity in desire of Marine SNAs though I dont think it is much different from the other services though I cant really speak for the AF. I think every class that finishes primary has a good mix of preferences though it is quite often that someone doesnt get their first choice. The only advice and you will see this throughout:
#1-Apply they will tell you if you make it
#2-Do your best, if youa re #1 you get what you want
#3-Put down waht you think will make you happy but be prepared for what will make the service happy.
Good luck and dont sweat selection until about a week before it happens

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
skidkid said:
#2-Do your best, if youa re #1 you get what you want

Is this one always true for Marines? I know, during my time, it wasn't for the Navy. Their needs always came first. Granted, they tried to get the #1 guy out of all five squadrons his or her first choice but I know a few who it just didn't work out that way. Matter of fact, a fellow COD guy years ago was #1, Commodore's list with distinction and got a platform that wasn't even on his dream sheet :eek: Not to put fear into the original thread poster, always set a goal and attempt to achieve that goal. Again, I'm speaking from a navy point of view 10 years ago and it might very well be different with the Marines. I do remember though C-130's being a very competitive slot and usally only the top dogs got that one. Best students going props....gotta love it :icon_smil

Jax

Are there any Navy/USMC graduates here who put jets at the bottom of their dream sheet?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a couple Marine jet guys that tried to get NPQ'd from jets, or recommended against jets... they still got them.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jax said:
Are there any Navy/USMC graduates here who put jets at the bottom of their dream sheet?

Many do. It all depends on what you want. Mine was Helo Jet Prop but I was a wise ass and put infantry in props place but they made me change it I jsut wanted to shoot stuff.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A guy on this board put Helo Helo Helo. Let's see if he chimes in. :)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
sure some people covet helo spots.... but some people would covet a Gold Medal in the Special Olympics too.

/joking... so relax helo guys

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are plenty of people who don't want jets. I know a lot of people who went through primary and selection with zero desire to be anything but a helo pilot. The Corps definitely gets a more diverse crowd when it comes to platform choices. There are usually a good percentage who want helos or 130s (as well as jets). The Navy doesn't seem to fall out so well in diverse selection preferences. Every platform has its pros and cons, and, as long as you get to blow **** up and wreak death and destruction, it's fine by me.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Fly Navy said:
A guy on this board put Helo Helo Helo. Let's see if he chimes in. :)

That was me. I've been wanting helos since I was a kid.

bcatcher5

Selected OCC 190
squeeze said:
Every platform has its pros and cons, and, as long as you get to blow **** up and wreak death and destruction, it's fine by me.

well said and excellent point- I concur.

Jets v Helos seems to be the million dollar question-

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Michael W said:
I've met numerous "I only want helos" folks, christ, I even know a female who's hell bent on the CH-46...............an odd platform to be orgasmic over.

No more odd than that (occassionally) flying red-stripe FOD vacuum you have on your avatar! :icon_tong

I put helos, jets(kingsville), jets (meridian). If I'd had it to do again, I'd have given C-130s more of a shot.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Well, everybody famously loves their own platform, but I've definitely heard the few C-130 aviators I've known talk it up more than anybody else. Something about the limited and short-time deployments, coupled with getting a [combat zone] flying experience that combines the low-n-slow dangers and thrills of helos with the high-n-dry exposure of the pointy-nosed people.
In fact, one Maj I knew was #1 and set to go jets and then switched to props last-minute after he saw the presentatioon that the C-130 guys gave. And of course, he says he's thankful he did.
Bottom line from my limited observation, as I'll always say, it's the flying *period* that's the key, since everyone seems to love whatever platform they end up in.
My 6 bits.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok your aircraft will be like your child. It may not be the best athlete on the field or smartest kid in the class but damnit it is yours and you love it. C-130 guys love their platform jet guys love theirs I love mine.
Just find out as much as you can and pick based on waht you think you want but you will be happy regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.