• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pretty cool website - AF Helos

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Interesting how the pictures depict the AF crewchiefs hanging out the door while seemingly not really doing anything. On the Navy side, I was pretty sure Aircrew is supposed to be strapped in unless they are doing mission essential tasks in back, as the Gunner's belt is no guarantee of ultimate safety.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Interesting how the pictures depict the AF crewchiefs hanging out the door while seemingly not really doing anything. On the Navy side, I was pretty sure Aircrew is supposed to be strapped in unless they are doing mission essential tasks in back, as the Gunner's belt is no guarantee of ultimate safety.

Looking out for enemies would be considered a mission essential task. For missions such as CSAR the gunners seats are usually removed.

But, those guys with their feet hanging out are PJs, not the crew chief. Troops don't need seats, they usually use lanyards similar to a climber's quick draw to secure themselves to the helo.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Looking out for enemies would be considered a mission essential task. For missions such as CSAR the gunners seats are usually removed.

But, those guys with their feet hanging out are PJs, not the crew chief. Troops don't need seats, they usually use lanyards similar to a climber's quick draw to secure themselves to the helo.

Gotcha, thanks.

highside7r

None
They are actually secured with "gunners belts", same thing the Navy uses in helos. Spent many hours laying on the deck "strapped in" with the gunners belt during glorious Starboard D ops. Mobility throughout the cabin was great, just hope you didn't have to ditch. The UH and HH crew seats have a locking reel system as well.

busdriver

None
The gunner and FE use gunner's belts to secure themselves in the cabin while they're moving around. PJs all wear climbing harnesses and just clip those into the aircraft using what they call a "pig-tail" which is usually a doubled over length of small diameter climbing rope. We don't usually remove the seats for the gunner positions, but in combat those crew members rarely use the full retractable harness thing.

Pags

N/A
pilot
@Busdriver-
Are PJs part of your crew in the same manner as the gunner or the FE, or are they just "along for the ride"?

busdriver

None
In a technical sense, yes they are considered aircrew and get placed on the flight orders. In reality, the amount of airmanship shown varies from team to team.

So "soft of" is probably the closest to reality answer and "yes" is the correct answer.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I interviewed with a national guard PJ unit (to fly HC-130s, which extend the range of the helos) and they were a sharp bunch of dudes - and all in good shape! The opening they had was internal, so my interview was kind of moot, more of a getting to know them session for the future. But i tell you, I wouldn't mind being part of such a sharp outfit, ascots or not!

2Blades

"Chester" 4 blades transition
pilot
I have never seen a Huey Crew Chief strapped in the seat! They are always on a gunners belt!

With the Yankee we can carry more pax now, and I have heard talk of the "clip in" system being used in the new Huey.

busdriver

None
The thing with the gunner's belt or the clipped in climbing harness is to ensure your guys don't leave too much slack in the line. The danger is the crewman will be thrown from the aircraft during a crash and the slack in the belt allows enough travel to swing out into the rotor system.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The thing with the gunner's belt or the clipped in climbing harness is to ensure your guys don't leave too much slack in the line. The danger is the crewman will be thrown from the aircraft during a crash and the slack in the belt allows enough travel to swing out into the rotor system.

If they're in the gunners' seats, they're sitting in stroking seats, which help a lot for survivability. The reels on our gunners' seats allow them to move around a fair bit, but still be able to lock their harness. Gunners belts and clips do nothing for survivability.

busdriver

None
My point was that gunner's belt that is too long will actually reduce survivability in a crash.

EDIT: I knew you weren't disagreeing, just thought my first post might be a little unclear. They're handy, but carry their own set of risks.