• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior E to Navy Aviation via OCS - Questions

IRfly

None
Maybe he wants to serve? Maybe they want two incomes rather than one income and one massive debt maker? I have read that it costs about $70,000 to go from nestling to First Officer complaining about management. I’d venture that DC is probably among the hardest regions to be in for time building. Maybe he just wants those sexy wings of gold.

So, your question is a good one…”What are you missing?”
I’m definitely missing the point of this post.

taxi1

pilot
Is the pathway to commercial pilot “super expensive?” It’ll be a pay cut, but with your pay raise it might even out.

Why does he not want to work as an instructor for a few years to build hours, then jump to the regionals? It would indeed take time, but much less time than wings+8+whatever reindeer games the detailer can play with him. And the skill is pretty transferable in terms of location, so wouldn’t need to deal with long-term separation.

What am I missing?
Just expanding his option space?

IRfly

None
OP, it's all about your priorities.
If hubby gets picked up for SNA, then from the day he ships off to OCS until at least 3-4 years later, you'll probably measure your time together in single-digit weeks per year.
You don't mention how long he has to go until retirement. With retirement now at the 25-year mark, could be up to 21 years, right? Same-ish for you?
You say he wants to go to the airlines. You also say that flying Navy might be a stepping stone to that. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a REALLY LONG step. Check out alternatives, like the funded flight schools.

I'm a big fan of being honest with yourselves about what you really want.
If it's to stay together at least most of the time, then going dual military is not a good option.
If he wants to fly Navy, then go for it. If he wants to go to the airlines, then go for it.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
OP, it's all about your priorities.
If hubby gets picked up for SNA, then from the day he ships off to OCS until at least 3-4 years later, you'll probably measure your time together in single-digit weeks per year.
You don't mention how long he has to go until retirement. With retirement now at the 25-year mark, could be up to 21 years, right? Same-ish for you?
You say he wants to go to the airlines. You also say that flying Navy might be a stepping stone to that. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a REALLY LONG step. Check out alternatives, like the funded flight schools.

I'm a big fan of being honest with yourselves about what you really want.
If it's to stay together at least most of the time, then going dual military is not a good option.
If he wants to fly Navy, then go for it. If he wants to go to the airlines, then go for it.
^^^^This I agree with. Personally, and I’m not an airline guy, if I were to do it I’d go to one of the ATP type schools train you and then you train them until you rack up the hours (typically much faster as I understand it).